Lumps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livie 9

Reaction score
Hi,

Within the last hour or so I have noticed a little red lump on my rabbits eye and a little bump on his nose. The one on his eye looks like a stye and I wasn’t to concerned until I noticed his nose.

He is more than happy in himself and eating perfectly fine. I could just be worrying for nothing but I’ve booked him into the vets for tomorrow but until then I won’t be able to settle.

The one on his nose is not as red in person as it appears on the picture.

Attachments

• 32FDA9B9-C659-44EC-9EC4-57EB0BA83042.jpeg
    32FDA9B9-C659-44EC-9EC4-57EB0BA83042.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 029F1F3C-3968-412C-A450-01C5EC31EF9D.jpeg
    029F1F3C-3968-412C-A450-01C5EC31EF9D.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 808058BB-3238-414B-9B65-FB2BD4A9FC9D.jpeg
    808058BB-3238-414B-9B65-FB2BD4A9FC9D.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
Was it combo for all three viruses or he had two shots?

If he was just recently vaccinated, could it be some kind of reaction to vaccines, they say it happens sometimes

If he is happy and eating and pooping well it's great, I can't guess from here unfortunately, what I know vaccines start working in two weeks time, my first guess would be that this is some kind of reaction to vaccine, but could be insect bite or conjuctivitis or something else. Hopefully your vet will tell you more tomorrow. I don't know what I would do in your situation. I would probably rinse his eye with saline solution or herbal tea (black, green, chamomile) that would work as anti inflammatory would reduce swelling possibly, but if it's better tomorrow you show your vet photos what they say.

Hope he will be alright, hopefully nothing serious, I will keep my fingers crossed for your bun, please keep us updated what your vet says tomorrow. Maybe you can email them these photos it's still not too late maybe they will check inbox before closing, or maybe you can ring them

I really appreciate your advice. I did email the pictures and that’s why they want to see him tomorrow, they told me not to worry but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I love him to bits and I’m hoping to god it’s nothing serious.

I’ll keep you updated.

Many thanks from both me and my little Rupert

My two senior rabbits got similar scabs after their first triple vaccine last autumn. Tiny dry bumps or scabs on their chin, nose, ears. My third, younger one, didn't get them. I was worried sick, but the scabs healed completely in about a month. It didn't affect their eating or behaviour. The girl had one on her lower eyelid as well, just like in your picture. I took her to the vet and was given some fucithalmic gel for the eye just in case. So hopefully in your case, too, it's just a very rare (or so they say) side effect and will go away on its own. Always good to show it to a vet, of course.

(In my case, I really do not believe any kind of former exposure had happened as it's COVID year of all things, I go almost nowhere (not even shops), change clothes and disinfect hands when coming home, buns are indoors, we have netting in every window, don't forage outside etc. And the first cases of myxomatosis in wild (or any) rabbits in Finland were discovered only a few months prior. Of course, for someone else, the circumstances might be different.)

Last edited:
I’m so glad someone else has had a similar experience!

Rupert went to the vets today and they gave him the all clear and said it was just an allergic reaction, obviously we were told to keep a close eye but everything’s fine thankfully!

I’m also in the same position - Rupert is an indoor, free roam bunny and is never exposed to anything that could harm in. We’ve been extra careful with this as with covid we’ve struggled booking him an appointment. I wanted to get this done a lot sooner as I want to get him friend, he is very attached to me and my partner and I’m worried about when life goes back to normal him missing us!

Thanks so much guys!
Stay safe!

Latest posts

Back