Lump under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisdoc

Chris
Reaction score
Just picked Bandy up tonight to groom him and have noticed he had quite a large lump under his chin. It's quite hard and when I touch it, he doesn't flinch or seem to be in pain. I can't believe I didn't see it before, with all that hair it's hidden. I would try and take a photo but I don't want to stress him trying to catch him. Anybody have any ideas ? I will get him to the vet tomorrow morning when they open. Must admit I am worried, my poor baby.

That sounds like an abscess and, the vet will need to lance it and, most likely give antibiotics to prevent further infection and, remove what is there. Make sure the vet checks his teeth, that is the most likely cause of the abscess.

Have just been googling and reading about abcesses usually associated with tooth problems. Not good reading as it sounds as though it can be costly to treat and car recur quite frequently.

I don't want to worry you too much, but lumps under the chin often will be an abscess. Depending on the location it could also involve an infection of the teeth and/or jaw. Could also be due to an overgrown tooth root. So there's a possibility that xrays may be needed if it's anywhere near his jaw. It's also possible for their scent glands under there, to get infected as well. A cyst is possible as well. The vet may do a fine needle aspirate to determine if it is an abscess.

If it is an abscess, some vets will surgically remove them, which is usually the best option, but sometimes they are just lanced and drained. Then the wound needs to be cleaned out several times a day, and antibiotics given.

Poor Bandy :( Hopefully it's just a cyst and won't be too complicated to take care of. I'm glad you've at least found a good vet to take care of your buns there.

Jenny of course I'm worried, can't believe I didn't see it sooner. I could do without it now financially but that's life. I will take him in the morning and will let you know what the vet says. Just taken this of him and Snowy, it doesn't seem to bother him.

1394576168752.jpg

Oh my goodness! I hope that its something sort of easy to remedy!

Our buns need to get it together and stop falling apart on us!

I'll keep Bandy in mind tonight and tomorrow. Do let us know what happens at the vets office. Poor Bandy!

Unfortunately I think it is much more complicated than Ellie's problem and costly but what can we do. He seems OK just tucking into his veggies so he hasn't lost his appetite. Now I know it's there I can see it clearly now although all that hair does camuflage it. I will let you know how he does and what the vet says. I might just take him and leave the other two at home or should I take them all or just Snowy who shares with Bandy ??

One thing that may be a good sign, is that he is still eating normally and isn't showing any signs of pain that way. Which hopefully means there won't be any tooth or jaw involvement, and may just be a superficial abscess(or may not be an abscess at all). And those typically won't be painful, as the infection is encapsulated in that one area and doesn't involve anything else.

It probably just depends on how well you think Bandy would do being at the vet and if you think having Snowy there would help him feel less stressed, and if you think separating would affect the bond at all. Sometimes it is a comfort for them to have another bun to snuggle up to if that bun isn't stressing too much.

Jenny I can always rely on you to make me feel better. He hasn't eaten any pellets yet but has happily tucked into his veggies and has just has a little piece of dried pineapple so is eating normally at the moment. He doesn't look as though he's in pain and he is snuggled with Snowy so I may take the two of them tomorrow and just leave Houdini at home. I just my baby is Ok and maybe it won't be a problem with his teeth. Methinks I won't sleep too well tonight :(

Oh no Chris. I'm so sorry to hear. I will say a prayer and will be checking in often for an update. I hope it is something simple and as easy to deal with as possible and not too costly.

I wish I could be there to sit and worry with you.

Thanks Denise, I am camped out on the sofa, see if I can stay there tonight if they don't keep me awake. I will update after I have spoken to the vet. So good to have everyone on here, it does make me feel as though I'm not on my own :)

I woke up thinking about Bandy this morning. I hope that the vet trip went well! Update as soon as you can! I think we're all biting our nails and hoping that everything is alright.

Morgan, it's now 3.30pm and he hasn't been to the vets yet, I rang the morning but the vet isn't in today and the nurse said he'.ll be ok until tomoro. She did not ask me anything so how the,hell would she know, I am beyond annoyed and seriously thinking of ringing their first vet to see if he can see him this afternoon. Am not home yet but he was,eating this morning. I don't know what to do for the best

I don´t know what to do for the best and although he´s OK, I worry that he might take a turn for the worse as the appointment is not until tomorrow at 12.30 which is nearly another 24 hours. I am so stressed and upset and then
I´ve just read on another thread that if it´s an abcessf they are caused by bacteria, they can be contagious so do I separate him from his little pal Snowy or do I leave them together. I am so confused and so worried. I just want someone to tell me what to do :bigtears:

Chris, you should be just fine waiting until tomorrow. If this does turn out to be an abscess, they are usually slow growing and encapsulated in one area, plus Bandy isn't showing any signs of pain or lack of appetite. So I don't think waiting one day should be a problem as long as there aren't any changes in the lump or with Bandy.

Though the bacteria itself can be contagious, it really isn't a problem for your other buns. Most rabbits already are carriers of the bacteria and are just unaffected by it. It's a bit like if we had an infected wound. We all usually have the bacteria naturally on our skin anyways, and even though the bacteria itself could affect others, it's just not likely. Plus if it is an abscess, it's still encapsulated at this point. Usually when they are talking about the bacteria being contagious, they are talking about when a rabbit has a URI and is sneezing. It really doesn't seem like something you need to worry about at all.

I know you are worried about Bandy. Just remember that it may not even be an abscess. It's still possible that it's a cyst. But even if it is, though abscesses can be serious and some difficult to treat, they actually are a pretty common thing for rabbits to get, and most are treated successfully and without any problems. In fact just recently another RO member had a similar problem. Her bun ended up having a facial abscess. One vet told her it could be dental related. She got a second opinion and found that it was just a superficial abscess probably due to a bite. The wound healed up just fine without any issues. It's good to be aware of the possibilities and what needs to be done, just so you can make sure your bun gets the proper treatment, but you also don't want to jump too far ahead and presume the worst when it may end up being something minor and easily resolved. Bandy is still acting normally and being his usual fluffy self, which are all good indicators and signs.

I am just so worried and terrified something terrible will happen overnight even though it is unlikely. I have been trying to ring the vet on her mobile but she is no answering si I have texted her. He does look fine but he's been grooming himself more than normal or so it seems but I keep giving him bits of veggies to make sure he's eating well. As he is not bothered by it, I am wondering if it is a cyst but I won't be settled until he's seen the vet tomorrow. Thanks for your wise words again Jenny. This is when I hate living alone, the buck stops here :p

Well I have spoken to the vet and not much to be happy about as she says it will probably be an abscess and that cysts do no exist in that area ie under the jaw. She also says that recovery is a long process but that xrays will be needed as well as other tests and antibiotics to start treatment. Thinking back I am now gutted I didn't take him when he had that episode a while ago where he stopped eating as he was fine on the Saturday and the nurse said that he probably didn't need to see the vet, I could kick myself as that could have been the start. Hindsight is terrible. So, I have an appointment tomorrow and goodness knows what. Don't know how I will pay for all this but that's another story. I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back