Lump on Hock? *Pics in thread*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good that he ate some parsley. That will help hydrate him. If you want, you can offer a second bowl of water spiked with juice to get him to drink more. The hydration is important to make sure his GI tract will get going well again.

We have orange and apple juice here, which one be better? And which juice would be the best overall so I know what to look for tomorrow (It would be tonight, but all the stores near us would be closed by now...)?

How is he doing this morning?

I would use apple juice in the water. Many rabbits seem to like that one. Has he ever had canned pumpkin? My rabbits eat that like a treat, and it is great for adding some fiber and water to a bunny that is under the weather.

Well, I don't think Mom or I hardly slept a wink through the night (work today is going to be a killer) and we spent most of the night either getting him to eat or watching him in his Xpen to see how he was behaving. We got him to finally eat some parsley on his own and got a little water into him by syring (although he was letting a lot of it dribble out his mouth) and we finally turned in for around an hour before getting up to check on him again. He was nibnbling some hay on his own so I laid down on the floor to watch him and he started pooping! So he has 23 rather normal looking poops and right after those, he took a rather long pee! So I think he's starting well on the road to recovery.

Sounds good! Apple is good, and I would think cranberry is best if you can find the unsweetened kind. However, I have never given totally unsweetened cranberry to my bunnies and I have drunk it myself--it is very bitter! I am not sure they would like it. Most cranberry juice is sweetened by adding other sweet juices to it.

Hey guys!

So Peace is eating pretty well, not quite up to what he usually is, but that's to be expected. He's still not drinking very much, we've only seen him drink twice and even then it was very short (Although he did pee again and it was a nice long one). We called the vet and they said not to worry too much about the drinking since they gave him so much liquid in the injection after the surgery, so it isn't really a problem yet.

He started chewing on the bandage around his leg so Mom went to the vet and grabbed a cone for when we're not home to watch him and a bitter spray as a hopeful alternative which, thankfully, seems to be working since he hasn't touched it since we sprayed it on.

He has another appointment to go in on the weekend to have the hole where his abcess was flushed and rewrapped.

He's definitely getting his energy back. We put him in an X-Pen and we have two set up (One down in the living room during the day and up in my Mom's bedroom at night so he can be where we are to watch him) and he's just having a hoot bopping around. At first we were concerned since the vet warned us that if he moves too much he will be causing the antibiotic beads to rub against his joint in his hock, but when we brought up the concern they reassured us that is mainly when he is jumping over something or on to something, normal hopping around isn't an issue. I didn't think he would be this perky already considering how he was last night, be he almost seems back to himself other then the smaller appetite and not drinking as much. I'm going to be surprised if he still likes parsley after this as he's been getting so much of it!

Here are some photos from today,

249430_2155876816929_1246719002_32701678_4481_n.jpg

He really hasn't been too happy with the bandage and I don't blame him, it doesn't really allow him to bend his leg at all. We're going to see if the vet has something a little most flexible for him.

246741_2155880657025_1246719002_32701690_7640226_n.jpg

A little later in the day and he's definitely looking a lot perkier!

Hopefully we'll keep this trend going!

Hmm, I'll have to try the cranberry juice, I was going to run over to Safeway later and grab some more parsley, cilantro, maybe some romaine lettuce to get some water in his system and some canned pumpkin, anything that will help him recover faster! Hopefully I'm not overloading him...

That is super that he's doing so well! He looks much perkier in the last photo. :)

My kids also love sqash. I get the frozen, cooked winter squash that is plain. The only things on the list of ingredients is squash and water. Heat in the microwave then let cool to room temperature. I generally serve on a small paper plate. The buns lap it up and then play with the plate. :)

i have a 4 year old mini lop. he has an abcess on his right front paw.
the vet drained it (very thick yellow pus had to be forced out) prescribed antobiotic baytril. it is not helping. 2 weeks later the vet did an exploritory and found no foreigh object. cuddles is still on antibiotic and no improvement. anybody have any ideas. i would really appreciate it

Latest posts

Back