Lucy - Please Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saudade

Reaction score
Picked Lucy up today after her being in her cage all day (it's raining and she usually spends the day out in her covered run.

The rear part of her genital lump (if you know the bit i'm talking about) has lost all the fur and is inflamed. Brother told me to go see a vet, but my mum won't let me take her to a vet as in my mum's opinion it's not a problem.

I'll take a picture soon but I can't walk around my backs gone on me.

I don't know if it's urine scald or not, she does not appear to have bitten or chewed the area.

She is on a pellet diet with a constant intake of water and there is little to no chance she has been exposed to anything new. She did have a bit of alfalfa yesterday, she gets a small handful each week. I noticed that the fur that is now missing was slightly bleached, however I never find the fur wet so it doesn't seem that she is sitting in her own urine.

She has been being given mint and rosemary on a regular basis, could this be causing a big problem?

Wouldn't have a clue sorry, but I did a wee bit of hunting and rosemary is ok in small quantities, don't know the effects sorry.... What sortamint is it? Pennyroyal can apparently be harmful?......Ruby had urine scold last year and the vet gave us some cream and told me to get her drinking more water to dilute the concerntration. I added a small amount of real apple juice to one side of her bowl to make it yumier...Hope Lucy gets better soon Dave :) And hows the home hunting going for her?

badly nobody can take her.

Just did a big bunny butt wash and it looked really painful. Lucy took it like a champ and didn't move at all. I'm getting snuggles and grooming from her now even though I just put her through pain.

Also need to note that she has had a lot of fresh green grass as we moved her run yesterday. Mum says that it could of caused this.

She lives inside at night and is out on the grass in a 1x2.5m cage which is a frame made of wood covered in chicken wire.

Make sure the area dries well, also try to keep it dry. Oh and change her litter more often so even when shes peeing shes not sitting in it. Could she of gotten some grass up there? My grandmas dog some how got like a bur up there and it got a infection and went all red an inflamed??

If you can find out how much it is to get her here, and it's not horrendous I could do my best to contribute and take her?

ETA is the wood treated? total random ideas but if shes chewingit could something in the treatment be casusing it?

No signs of chewing and she has never chewed the wood before.

I'm uploading the pics as we speak of her... area...

IMGP1060.jpg

IMGP1053.jpg

Sorry about the moisture in the first pic she was just starting to pee.

IMGP1055.jpg

The swelling and redness is not apparent but it is the lip(?) closest to where my hand is.

Here is a reference pic when something similar happened but it disappeared. It was when the bleaching of her tail happened before.

IMGP0986.jpg

I'm about to start forcing some more fluids on her to hopefully dilute the acid consistency as you suggested phoebe.

Have you cleaned her scent glands recently? Photos aren't to clear but could the scent gland gunk be making its way up? And the ickys in the gunk making her bits swell out? I'm off to bed but I'm pretty sure theres some notes on gland cleaning in the llibrary...

glands are clean I checked. I just got 10-20ml of water in to her system. not much, but i'm trying to super saturate her. She looks to be drinking well. I'm going to go have a shower now as I reek of rabbit urine from cleaning her.

I'll be keeping her inside for the next couple of days.

Her bedding was changed yesterday and she only urinates in the corners of her cage, litter training was unsuccessful as she is not spayed.

She will urinate in the corner then cover up the place she's urinated with more bedding. So she's not sitting in it.

the urine scald I have seen is very red and usually the area is swollen ;her urethra almost looks like it has crusty white on it ,.. not really clear to me in the picI cannot see any redness? :?
You can put some plain neosporrin on that.

if you do not see any resolution in a few daysI wouild take her to the vet.

Preparation H is also used for urine scald. It doesn't look too bad to me either, but it is very hard to tell. A bit of bleaching of the fur can be normal. Does she get all her cecals? Sometimes they can stick down there and keep the urine stuck to the fur as well and hurt the skin.

Sorry for the terrible pictures, they really missed the majority of it. I left her alone for most of today in her cage as I fear that it is outside that this may of been caused by.

On picking her up tonight I have noticed there are now two red marks parallel to each other on her genitals. I gave another bunny butt bath upon seeing this and although the marks look like wounds there was no evidence of blood or urine for that matter on the wet or dry tissues.

There has been the suggestion that it could be early stages of syphilis.

I also forgot to mention she receives fresh hay each week as she prefers to get it in a lump sum and mix it in with her bedding. I have found that spreading it out over the week in smaller amounts causes her to be restless and will ignore the hay.
She also receives a small (read less than a handful) of alfalfa hay each week when her bedding is changed.

After observation there seems to be no strain to urinate nor is there any visible wetness to the fur. This seems worrying.

At the moment we are currently suffering from a flea plague however daily flea checks as annoying as they are on lucy's black fur have shown none whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back