Low Calcium for Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarBunny

Reaction score
Hi! I think I remember someone giving me information on this but for the life of me I can’t find it.
I am looking for low calcium greens for my bunny. I was giving him Romaine but every time after I give it his poops get darker and softer. I give him organic and washed. Is it not working well with his system?

If someone could send me a list or some links that would be much appreciated. I am trying some red leaf lettuce today. I think that was an ok one.

Also how do you measure your greens? For 1 cup a day are you to mash or squish it into a 1 cup measuring cup?I don’t want to over or under feed him with greens.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

It could be the lighter part of the romaine causing the problem. So red or green leaf might work better. He may still be ok with romaine, but a lesser amount. Cilantro and swiss chard are some other low calcium greens.

For measuring, it's lightly packed. Though I would just go more off what your rabbit can tolerate without it causing poop issues. I never bother too much with the suggested feeding amount for veggies, just what I've determined works best for my rabbits.

https://rabbit.org/lowering-blood-calcium/

In case hay eating is not optimal:
(If your rabbit eats plenty of hay, just ignore this!)

Hay consumption is also a necessary combatant against darker, softer poos, so emphasizing ways to maximize hay consumption while tweaking the veggie diet would be good. This can include only presenting non-hay food items only a few times a day, very far apart, to maximize hay-only eating.

Latest posts

Back