Low calcium diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrizzy97

Reaction score
My baby rabbit has been peeing out white due to a high calcium/alfalfa hay diet. I took out alfalfa hay completely and switched to Timothy hay. However, does anyone have any recommendations for additional food for rabbits on a low calcium diet such as specific pellets, veggies, etc. Your advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!!

I feed my adult rabbit.
Unlimited Timothy hay
1 cup of veggies (spring mix, romaine - and a small bit of kale every few days). He gets veggies twice a day (so two cups).
1/4cup of grain free science selective pellets.

I’d be very careful doing a lot of diet changes, especially for a baby bunny. What is her current diet? That might make it easier for us to help you.

I feed my adult rabbit.
Unlimited Timothy hay
1 cup of veggies (spring mix, romaine - and a small bit of kale every few days). He gets veggies twice a day (so two cups).
1/4cup of grain free science selective pellets.

I’d be very careful doing a lot of diet changes, especially for a baby bunny. What is her current diet? That might make it easier for us to help you.
Hi, thank you so much for your response!

His current diet is;
Unlimited timothy hay
1/8 cup "Oxbow Animal Health Essentials Young Rabbit Food (Alfalfa Based)"
A quarter cup of fresh veggies.

(I would occasionally try and switch up the veggies such as Kale one day, spring mix another...etc.)

I am slowly weaning off the pellets as they are alfalfa based, therefore they are higher in calcium and my bunny is having a tough time with calcium (it is probably my fault) that is why I am trying my best to research and connect with people to find the best thing for him. My bunny LOVES pellets, so any recommendation on low calcium pellets that a 2 month old can eat would be highly beneficial, because I do not want to eliminate pellets completely. He also LOVES his veggies and looks forward to them EVERY morning. He waits in his little play pen and scratches at it staring at me waiting to receive his veggies. I haven't gave him something that he does not like yet, my bunny has a very large and diverse appetite lol. However, I know some veggies are higher in calcium such as spinach, so I want to minimize certain types of veggies as well.

Thank you again for all of your help! I hope this information is more clear. :)

Oh, he’s only 8-12 weeks. That’s quite young still. Kale and spinach are high in calcium so i wouldn’t feed them to him. I would feed him the alfalfa pellets until he’s about 5 months and begin to wean him off then unless you have been professionally advised not too.

I would feed him:
Unlimited Timothy hay
1/8 cup of alfalfa pellets

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp

Some white stuff that settles is normal, that's how rabbits deal with excess calcium. If there isn't any it could be a sign for a deficit, if a young rabbit or pregnant/nursing doe uses up all it gets to grow bones there might be not enough.

Anyway, reducing/cutting out alfalfa when the rabbit grows up, and using hay based pellets should bring the calcium intake to normal levels for adults.

One thing that I have learned is that some rabbits are more sensitive to calcium than others. I don’t think you did anything wrong just switch him over to regular pellets as soon as you can. :)

Latest posts

Back