Loved and Lost Bailey ❤️

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey ❤️

Reaction score
View media item 9594

Aloha from Hawaii,

New here. Joined because we recently lost our sweet Bailey due to GI stasis from suspect leaves she ate on a walk at the park (I think they were Acacia leaves) + stress from New Year’s Eve firework sounds + me not knowing how to help + not being able to get a hold of a vet on the island in time during off duty/holiday hours.

Too many factors contributed to her leaving us all too soon and utterly heartbroken She was almost five months old, a fluffy grey/white dwarf/Rex. Our first bunny, and even though we did a ton of research and prepping before even finding and adopting her at 8 weeks old, I feel one hundred percent responsible for what happened due to my own ignorance, and now I live in regret. I have not cried over a pet since my cat of eight years died suddenly over a decade ago from a heart murmur clot

I have since done more research on what I could have done on my own to help her even without being able to get to the vet, but none of that brings her back to us. My daughter is heartbroken, and we both cry incessantly over losing Bailey so soon Even my husband cried a little ~ we are all heartbroken

Joining this forum has helped me cope as I have read through a few posts the past couple of days, learning and relating.

I had no idea how deep and wide loving a bunny, even for a short period of time could open up dimensions and chambers of my heart. I think I’m taking her loss even harder than my daughter

Sending cyber hugs to all the bunny mommies and pops out there who have loved and lost a sweet bunny. ❤️

Last edited:
*Hugs* I, too, lost a bunny to GI stasis. I was treating her with medication I had on hand (it wasn't her first bout with stasis, so the vet had let me buy some metoclopromide and metacam to keep at home), but she went into shock (I think, she went pretty much limp) and she died in my arms as I was driving to the emergency vet. I had a necropsy done and it revealed that she died from a blood clot in her intestines. Losing Gaz was really hard on me. I beat myself up about it for a while, wondering if things would've been different had I caught it sooner or taken her to the vet sooner (we had just moved our newly-bonded trio into a new condo and I was so worried about Norman not leaving the middle level all day that it took me longer than usual to realize that Gazzles wasn't eating).

It's important to remind yourself to let go of that guilt, though - it won't change the past. What matters is the love you and your family shared with Bailey during her time with you. She surely forgives you for not being able to save her, so forgive yourself!

*Hugs* I, too, lost a bunny to GI stasis. I was treating her with medication I had on hand (it wasn't her first bout with stasis, so the vet had let me buy some metoclopromide and metacam to keep at home), but she went into shock (I think, she went pretty much limp) and she died in my arms as I was driving to the emergency vet. I had a necropsy done and it revealed that she died from a blood clot in her intestines. Losing Gaz was really hard on me. I beat myself up about it for a while, wondering if things would've been different had I caught it sooner or taken her to the vet sooner (we had just moved our newly-bonded trio into a new condo and I was so worried about Norman not leaving the middle level all day that it took me longer than usual to realize that Gazzles wasn't eating).

It's important to remind yourself to let go of that guilt, though - it won't change the past. What matters is the love you and your family shared with Bailey during her time with you. She surely forgives you for not being able to save her, so forgive yourself!

I so appreciate you sharing your story about precious Gaz ❤️ I can’t even imagine what I’d be like if Bailey had died in my arms I’m not sure I could handle that.

But I’ll never forget how much my daughter screamed and wailed when she found Bailey in the cage that morning ~ it crushed my spirit

I have asked my daughter’s forgiveness about the whole situation time and again since Bailey passed and she said she doesn’t hold anything against me. She’s seen me cry incessantly over Bailey’s loss at random times of the day, and I feel so crummy over the whole situation.

I do know I need to forgive myself, and it will come eventually. Thank you so much again! I’ve grieved over losing my parents four years apart, and then my cat of eight years, so I think losing Bailey so soon, over something preventable has reopened so many of those old wounds I’ve learned to bury over the years.

Latest posts

Back