Loud teeth grinding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
Today and yesterday, I noticed my rabbit is grinding her teeth really loud. It's not constant, but I hear it every now and then. I've heard her grind her teeth out of contentedness before - this is much louder. I've read online that it may indicate pain, but will my vet give me meds if her only symptom is grinding teeth?

She has upper respiratory disease which she has medication for. The meds just finished and she isn't sneezing or breathing loudly anymore. Her poops are a little small (which the vet warned may happen from the meds), but otherwise she is eating, drinking, etc., normally.

I appreciate any help!

I would get a vet appointment if your rabbit is grinding their teeth loudly. The vet may prescribe pain meds depending on the pain that the rabbit is experiencing.

It does sound like your rabbit is in pain;hopefully the vet would be able to determine what is causing the pain rather than just prescribing meds.

Does you rabbit's tummy seem distended or hard or is sheexhibiting any symptoms of gas (hunched poistion, tummy pressed to the floor, sitting in one position for lenthy periods)
If it could be gas it would be very safe to give a dose of simethicone and see if that helps...

She seems to be doing it in her sleep too. Is teeth grinding from pain a subconscious thing? Is it possible that it's something else?

I am making her a vet appointment right now.

EDIT: The earliest appointment I could get is in 2 days. Is there anything I can do to help her now? I have some Metacam left over from October 2011 (they gave me more than she was prescribed to take). Can I give her that or will it be expired now?

Latest posts

Back