Lots of questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlinT00

Reaction score
So this is the first part of my post: Today I noticed that Bella was shaking her head a lot and when i looked it up i read that it was a sign of an ear infection. I also noticed that she really only does it when she sees me so i thought that it could be excitement. When i just checked in her one ear, i noticed some yellow stuff (picture)- its a bit deep in so im not really sure how to clean it and i don't know if it needs any antibiotics. I want to test and see if i can clean it before overreacting and running to the vet, any suggestions on how i can clean it?
Second part of my post: So a few days ago I took Bella to the vet (for another reason) since I noticed her one eye was watering and had gunk in it- turned out to be an eye infection and we got drops that seem to be working. I don't know if anyone has ever dealt with this issue but my parents seem to think that i keep overreacting and that i should just let her be but i constantly keep finding little signs of illness like her eye, and now her ear. Their doubt is making me feel a bit crazy and i was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this issue before and if i should take a step back and relax or just keep doing what im doing (which at times is a bit stressful, but worth it)? Also, I don't want my vet to think im a hypochondriac either, since it'll be my third time going there within a months time.

Attachments

• 20191115_110942.jpg
    20191115_110942.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20191115_110820.jpg
    20191115_110820.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 13
I unfortunately cannot comment on the ear-related item specifically, but it is very common for both 1) rabbit owners to question if they're overreacting and 2) parents believing their child is overreacting about their pet rabbit. Here's the not-fun part: both those sentiments are valid possibilities in every scenario.... ugh.

In general, there are things you can do to facilitate what's best for your rabbit, especially if you feel your parents are reasonable in respecting your opinion (no need for you to disclose anything about your relationship to your parents; just a consideration). One is to, as you are, getting opinions from experienced rabbit owners. Gather that as "data" and present it to your parents, regardless if it supports you going to the vet or not. Parents tend to respond increasingly better if they are constantly exposed to the idea that you are considering their hesitancy seriously and balancing it with what you learn from those who are more qualified to give you second opinions (i.e. other rabbit owners).

It is possible that this is simply ear wax build up, symptoms of ear mites, or an ear infection, as you mention. Hopefully people more experienced with ear-related concerns will be able to share their thoughts!

In the picture I don’t see any redness to indicate a possible infection, or scabbing to indicate scratching due to mites. If she’s a lop then they can be more prone to ear problems. To me, it looks like some wax buildup.

my rabbit also has that ear thingy going on- constant shaking and scrathing. That seems to be a wax build-up that he has, but i´m not sure, but he has scrathcing scabs too. Mom also thinks i´m overreacting, dad says that he won´t take my bun to the vet, will rather give them a pic of his ears.

Did you vet check the rabbit's ears when you went in for the eye?

It looks like wax - I don't see red either and would think not infection. However, if your vet didn't check the ears and it's the same side, the eye and ear are connected and it could be turning into an infection.

I hope you can watch it daily and if the shaking gets worse or the build up gets worse, go to the vet.

DO NOT put anything down the ear i.e q-tips - you could damage the ear. Best you can do is warm DAMP, NOT wet, wash cloth/towel and use your finger to rub the wash cloth/towel in the ear wiping up towards the tip of the ear...see if it helps any.

Latest posts

Back