Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogumiła

Reaction score
Do female rabbits get along with others before getting spayed?

My 4 month old boy was neutered a month ago, but he’s still into humping :0/ my 2 month old unspayed girl.

He started to hump her head, then she tried to hump his butt, she was squeaking lound when he tried to hump her, but then she tried to hump him too.

I am clueless when to try it next. BTW, they were in a neutral small place for the quick meeting.

I just got them together for like a minute tonight and it didn’t work out. They like interacting through their gate just fine.

What complicated things furthermore is that I have another bun that will have to eventually be reintroduced into the mix. He’s in our master bedroom and gets to climb all over us at nught :0)
He is 2 months old and he will be neutered next month.

How long will this 3 way separation take? How do I reintroduce them to one another?

Im nervous that I’m not doing things the right way for my cuties.

The 3 got along so well until puberty hit :0/

All babies get along -- but it only lasts until hormones kick in. It doesn't sound like you've put yourself in an ideal situation with 3 intact young rabbits, 2 of which are males.

The first one that was neutered a month ago could still be hormonal. It can take some rabbits up to 6-8 weeks after neutering for those hormones to fully dissipate.

The intact female should not be interacting at all with either of the males until after she is spayed and healed.

The still intact male should not be interacting with either rabbit until 8 weeks after his neuter.

The difficulty you will face is what to do once all 3 are fixed and are past their time for healing and their hormones have dissipated. It is possible to bond 3 rabbits, however, it doesn't always work out. Those trios that do work out are either all female or only have 1 male. With 2 males, the chance of the two males fighting over the female is likely.

Normally, to bond 3 rabbits, it is best to bond them all at the same time. It is NOT advised to bond two and then try to add in the third. That can result in breaking the bond of the first two and could even cause all three to not bond to either of the other rabbits. It will be tricky with 2 males.

There's a link that talks about bonding groups. I'll see if I can find it and add it in here.

Here it is:
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Thank you so much for your help! This info is AMAZING! Yep, I had no idea what sex these little kiddos were...but we quickly found out. LOL!!
Anyway, do you think that getting another female will help the situation out a bit? Can 2 couples coexist?
I’m at home basically 24/7 so I can take on any type of a schedule and help them in any way that is acceptable to these buns.
Thank you so much, once more!

You're welcome!

You could eventually attempt to have 2 bonded pairs, but couples don't interact with other couples. In that case, you would want each pair to have their own cage and their own exercise area- preferably quite apart from each other.

For a bonded pair of rabbits, the mere presence of another rabbit in the home can cause the bonded pair to have issues.

I would not suggest getting another rabbit at this stage, but you may consider it later down the road. Firstly, you'll need to wait until your current rabbits are all fixed and healed. Then you can decide whether to attempt a trio or to see if two will pair off together. If two will pair off together, then you will know which one is left out. Then, if you desire, you can seek a bondmate for that rabbit.

If it comes to that, then the best way to find a bondmate is to let that 3rd rabbit meet other, already-fixed rabbits at a rabbit rescue (different from generic shelter). The rescue allows you to pre-screen for potential compatibility. They can help you through the bonding process. And if an attempted bond doesn't work out, they allow exchanges to ensure you wind up with an actual, compatible bondmate.

However, if you are successful in having a trio bonding, then, of course, you won't want to get a 4th rabbit. BTW, the link on bonding that I gave earlier does have a section on bonding trios and groups, but you have to scroll way, way down to get to that title.

Thank you so much for your help. I have read the excellent link you sent me. I am now hopeful that I will be able to get these little kids living together and getting along swell :0)
I just love them so much! I will never part with any of them, and I will keep at it until it works out however it works out :0)
All I know for certain now is that those buns of mine will ultimately have the last say (*^^*)
Thank you once more!

P.S. I think it is so cool that you donate. I will donate too!

Thank you for all the great insights on attempting to bond three rabbits.

We have a male/female bonded pair and were recently wondering if we shouldn’t try to share the love, by bringing home a third (female) for the holidays, which was of course the sole rabbit at the shelter.

For those of you who try, I wish you all the success that we’ve read about.

I think we’ll remain happy with our good fortune, as is.

Latest posts

Back