Loss of Poop Litterbox Habits Only

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnesthelion

Reaction score
Okay, so curious if anyone has any insight to what is going on here.

Agnes has had near perfect litterbox habits since I brought her home. When I then brought Archie home, she lost her poop habits temporarily. She would poop along the border of Archies cage and her cage. Totally normal. Totally expected. That stopped after she got used to Archie.

Archie has had near perfect habits too! He was a stray so I thought that was great! He had maybe one pee accident since I've brought him home and he was a little worse on poop habits than Agnes.

So a couple weeks ago they were officially moved in together to the same condo. It went great! Litterbox habits were good. No fighting. Couldn't be better :)

About a week ago they BOTH started pooping outside the box, right in front of it actually. And ONLY at night.

So here's what's weird. They have free run during the enire day. They poop in their litterbox during the day. Like I maybe find 2 or 3 poops between the BOTH of them all day that are out of the litterbox. That's it!

Then at night when they are officially "locked up" they poop in front of the litterbox. And again, only there. Even in the 3 floors of their condo there are zero poop accidents. They pile it up right by their litterbox??

So thoughts on what is going on? Is this marking territory again? Oddly enough it is the spot where Agnes pooped right when Archie was brought home. I also can't move their litterbox there because it's by their step and food bowls which are attached so won't fit.

Phew, sorry this was so long. Just want to be thorough. Any thoughts? It's not the end of the world because it's just poop. Pee is still perfect. But what are they doing????

Maybe putting a second litter box in there will help. It might be that one bun is occupying the litter box and the other bun also needs to go so just does it right outside the box.

JBun wrote:
Maybe putting a second litter box in there will help. It might be that one bun is occupying the litter box and the other bun also needs to go so just does it right outside the box.

Darn it, wish it were that easy. But there have always been two litterboxes in there (since they've been bonded) and they use them both equally......

I just don't get why it's only at night! And no poop accidents anywhere else!!!

Silly buns.....:?

The only other thing I can think of is that one of them is trying to claim that litter box as theirs. Do you shut them in the cage at night? If so, that might be why it's only happening then.

JBun wrote:
The only other thing I can think of is that one of them is trying to claim that litter box as theirs. Do you shut them in the cage at night? If so, that might be why it's only happening then.

Yes, they are locked in the cage at night only and that is only when it happens.

Is there something I could try OR will this behavior pass with time?

I can not help much. My girls are pooping everywhere as well. They have 2 litter boxes even. 1 of them peed outside of the box last night or today even.

Just guessing here, but I think it will pass or lessen with time. I have a similar set-up where they are only locked up night. Sometimes when I come downstairs in the morning, I see that there are some poos just outside the litterbox too. Like with yours, that isn't usual for my buns either.
I suspect that being confined at night stirs some territorial behavior in that regard. When I notice that, I try to remember to add some extra diversion items in their cage before locking them in. (like stuffed tp rolls)
Their bonds are fairly new-ish, so maybe that also plays a factor.

Thanks all.

My gut was saying territorial too. Especially since it doesn't happen during the day at all NOR dos it happen on any other floor of the condo. If it were actually related to litterbox training I would think consistent stray poops would be everywhere, no matter time or place........?

I guess I will keep my fingers crossed it improves with time. And like I said, thank goodness it's not pee :) and thanks Suzette on keeping them busy at night, I think I will start saving some "good toys" for night time tom see if that helps at all.

Latest posts

Back