Lops Breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the velveteens I've seen (not in person, but online) were from English lop x mini rex. I hope to be able to get one as a pet someday soooo much. :)

I have heard of other lops with rex fur, but I think they called them something different than velveteen - like maybe "plush lops" or something like that?

Velveteen Lops are crosses between Rex both standardor Mini rex, both are used to createthe different size Velveteens, as with most all rabbits there are large and small Velveteens. I have seen them in personat one of the last 2 shows I was at , their fur is the most awesome. and thoseears are reminecient of the English! very soft andsilky. perhaps a next rabbit,maybe but not right now lol.

shadow10978 wrote:
I am actually thinking about breeding for velvatine rabbits, but from what I have read they tend to use french lops instead of english. I am not sure so dont quote me on it, it may be that both can be used.

Ooh!!! I want! I want! I prefer French Lops to English. From what I've read, the English have a bettertemperament, but I can't get used to those "Romannoses". (No offense to those who have English :))

Please keep us posted if you decide to breed them.

Carolyn can bring me one when she comes to visit next summer. ;)

Laura

I have French Lops and Gypsy hit their personality perfectly.

I would also add that they have a sense of humor and love to make you laugh. If they are being a clown, the harder you laugh the sillier they act. They love it when you think they are funny and laugh at them,
I have one who has the personality of someone who would hand you a loaded cigar and laugh when it blows up or would put a bag of burning poo on your porch and ring the bell laughing as you stomped on it:shock: He is soo bad !
And they love to THUMP!
They delight in thumping making the dogs think someone is at the door and watching them bark like lunatics! I swear you can see a grin on their face;)

dyky71 wrote:
I have French Lops and Gypsy hit their personality perfectly.

I would also add that they have a sense of humor and love to make you laugh. If they are being a clown, the harder you laugh the sillier they act. They love it when you think they are funny and laugh at them,
I have one who has the personality of someone who would hand you a loaded cigar and laugh when it blows up or would put a bag of burning poo on your porch and ring the bell laughing as you stomped on it:shock: He is soo bad !
And they love to THUMP!
They delight in thumping making the dogs think someone is at the door and watching them bark like lunatics! I swear you can see a grin on their face;)
:rofl: I so know what you mean, When Chaz decides to thump in his type cage it sounds like a shot gun going off, I have litterallyducked for cover until I finally got used to it. little stinker, andyes he did have the look of haha i got you !:nonono:

Velveteen Lop

velsrbuck.jpg

http://www.earsunlimited.com/vlop/vlop.html

I am a bit confused about lops too.Both mine were sold to me as mini lops but have grown up to look quite different. Snowball has quite a rounded flat sort of face. She has big round eyes and a compact little body. Nora is bigger and heavier. Her face is more like that of a wild rabbit with more oval shaped eyes ,and her body is not rounded like snowball, it is more long and straight. The pet shop I got her from also told me she was a boy!

They both have medium length ears. Not really long like an english lop but not really short like in some of the pictures here. The tips of them hang about 2-3cm down below the bottom of the head.

I don't mind what they are cos they are gorgeous anyway. Am just curious and wonder if either is going to get any bigger since they are both under a year old.

I didn't know about the fuzzy lop before. That's so cute and fluffy, I want one!!

The UK Lopbreeds are slightly different and more abundant than those in the US:

The British Rabbit Council (BRC) accepts a number of lop ear breeds including:

Cashmere Lop: Wooled breed slightly larger than our American Fuzzy Lop

Mini Cashmere Lop: wooled breed slightly smaller than our American Fuzzy Lop

Dwarf Lop: slightly larger than our Holland Lop

Miniature Lop: similar but slightly smaller than our Holland Lop

German Lop: similar to our Mini Lop

Meissner Lop: Larger than our Mini Lop, but smaller than our French Lop

English Lop: similar to our English Lop

French Lop: similar to our French Lop

The Netherland Dwarf Lop in some countries is similar to our Holland Lop (It is also the old name for our Holland Lop in the US).

Pam

Standing1.jpg

Laura wrote:
Jenniblu wrote:
There is also the velveteen lop:

attachment.php

Jenni, is this somebunny you know?:)

I'd like to know more about this little guy. It looks like a cross between a Rex and an English Lop.

Laura

LOL no Laura, that is yet another breed on my dream list. . . :ponder:

The sites I've seen were usually using Mini or StandardRex x Elop to develop the breed.:inlove:

The American Fuzzy Lop maximum weight 4 lbs.

Holland Lop maximum weight 4 lbs.

Velveteen Lop (not ARBA accepted) averages 5 3/4 lbs.

Mini Lop averages 6 lbs.

English Lop 9 lbs. and over

French Lop 10 1/2lbs. and over

OMG i wish i had thought to bring my camara when i went to look at bella today, the woman that gave me bella just got in 3 beautiful velvatines. She picked them up at convention and oh my i want one even more now. she had 2 spacifically i fell in love with. One was a broken black and the other i have no clue what to call it other than possably a brindle{almost the same color layout as you see on pit bulls}

TINA! your blue hollands are to DIE for!! which one is which?? oh my god they are precious.. they look just like my william only with lopped ears :)! im a sucker for blue bunnies!

pamnock wrote:
USebastiansPose1.jpg

This photo is breathtaking! He's got such a perfect head!

Pam
Wow! I get sopuffed up and proud when Pam talks aboutour bubby like that! Andto think that he's just as sweet as he is pretty!:inlove:

Raspberry

lol i just had a funny thought, i have2 french lopdoes and a pair of mini rex buns it would be so funny to see my mini rexbuck with my bluefrench lop doe, im not going to put them together as i dont think cinbad (named because of his cinnamon colour)would manage the ladders!

Well, I just found out my boys are most definatly Hollands!:shock:
You learn something new every day..
I thought they were mini lops, but I guess not. I keep seeing pictures of Holland Lop torts and they are exactly what the boys look like.

Latest posts

Back