Loose rabbit in the park

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
2 days ago i saw this bunny in the huge park by the sidewalk. I had no doubt it was a domesticated, probably dumped rabbit. I decided to see if i can get his trust and catch him. Yesterday i brought romane lettuce and banana, i had it in my hand and he immediately started to come towards me. He didnt eat banana but really enjoyed romaine. My presence doesnt bother him, but "no hands please" (runs away if i try using my hands on him)
A passing by guy said that it was a "chunky cotton tail", we had a discussion, he said it was a wild rabbit. I have never seen a wild rabbit that looked like that in my area.
What is your opinion? Domestic? How to catch him? I wont be able to keep him but hoping that a rescue takes him. Its hot these days (84-86F), i gave him water but he didnt seem to be interested. It seems he caught ticks on his ears, i feel bad for him.

Attachments

• 20190514_205320.jpg
    20190514_205320.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190514_205302.jpg
    20190514_205302.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 33
Sorry for lousy pictures, my phone camera is bad.

Attachments

• 20190514_203818.jpg
    20190514_203818.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190514_210104.jpg
    20190514_210104.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28
I don't know if it's domestic or wild rabbit honestly, as for how to catch I'd bring something like pet transportation crate and would leave it open with some hay, raisins or romaine lettuce or something you think could interest him or her.

If he wasn't interested in water maybe he knows where to get some, you see him around same place maybe he just adapted himself to the new life even if he was dumped? I don't know the right answer just thinking, maybe he likes it there and not interested in being rescued?

crop_castrozina_hk.jpg

Thats what my concern is too, that he may be enjoying his freedom more than being locked up. However, he cant manage ticks or fleas, the temperature is going to rise, too. Sure, wild rabbits survive our hot summer but they dig underground.
I do have a carrier but i have a concern. My last bunny died last summer and he did have some sort of infection that we didnt figure out (possibly coccidia, and i was using the carrier for him). How do i disinfect the carrier? Its sitting in garage since he died.

Thats what my concern is too, that he may be enjoying his freedom more than being locked up. However, he cant manage ticks or fleas, the temperature is going to rise, too. Sure, wild rabbits survive our hot summer but they dig underground.
I do have a carrier but i have a concern. My last bunny died last summer and he did have some sort of infection that we didnt figure out (possibly coccidia, and i was using the carrier for him). How do i disinfect the carrier? Its sitting in garage since he died.
When I have to use 2ndhand plastic rabbit accessories I put them in the shower make them wet and spray with bleach all over, close the door and let sit for some time even leave for night, then I give them a very good shower and after that I usually clean them with vinegar it's actually a bit more than necessary but I don't like the smell of bleach. I remove metal parts before using bleach and clean them separately.
Also I try to separate all parts before cleaning, to make sure every part is perfectly clean like from factory.
After the shower I dry them thoroughly and put back together, and usually they look like new and I believe they are safe to use again.

It's definitely domestic. Sometimes rescues will help to catch an abandoned rabbit. Perhaps you could call a rabbit rescue and see if they will. Be sure, if you do call, to let them know that it seems to be remaining in a certain area. That way they'll know they aren't on a wild goose chase.

I'm not a rabbit expert by any means but we do have lots of cotton tails around here and jack rabbits and that one looks obviously domestic to me.

It is domestic. Wild rabbits don't have that type of fur coloring, plus it wouldn't be so tame. It likely doesn't need water because it is eating fresh vegetation that already contains water. If you can find a rescue to take it, that would be the best option. Otherwise, it's up to you if you want to help it get the right treatment then rehome it, or just leave it there. It knows how to burrow, so has either made a burrow or found a place to hide out, or it can make a burrow. But of course there is always the risk of predators since it doesn't have a strong flight instinct.

If you are going to catch it using your carrier and suspect coccidia at all, a 10% ammonia solution or other coccidia disinfectant, needs to be used to disinfect. I would leave on for a few minutes, scrub, rinse, wash with soap and water, and rinse again. Make sure you DO NOT mix the ammonia with bleach(just in case you aren't aware).

thank you everyone.
What kind of treatment are you talking about JBun? ticks? I don't know if he has any fleas, etc. I think I saw some ticks on him but I am not sure. usually they are just removed, right? Did you mean Revolution treatment ?
Where do I get ammonia? also, I have pet birds, would it be safe to use when they are around?

Since my rabbits passed, we cleaned the house of course but didn't really disinfect it (since there were no other rabbits left). Are my carpets still contaminated? Paul passed at the end of July. I am not sure where to keep this rabbit if I catch him.

I would definitely use the ammonia far from birds (preferably outside if it's an option) simply because bird lungs are a bit different from other animals and are hyper-sensitive to chemicals and toxins in the air.

Thank you all.
Yesterday i went to the park and he /she was there again. Ate a piece of carrot, cilantro and romaine (i dont feed much of that stuff, who knows how used he is to greens). I decided not to use my pet carrier (too much trouble cleaning). I had a new cardboard box where i cut the "door" that can be open or closed. However, i can't imagine the bunny would go in, he is rather cautious. He looks pretty comfortable in the park (but we expect inclement weather this weekend)
I also reached to a couple of rescues. A bunny rescue was surprisingly cooperative, they can lend me a live trap, they said, and then take the rabbit in. Another gal runs a rescue that isnot rabbit specific. She has rabbits from time to time though. She also would take him in, she said.
I still havent decided what would be best for the bunny. What do you all think? Life as natural as can be but he can't reproduce and he is lonely at the time.
How do they know what plants are not toxic?

They don't know what plants are toxic. In the wild, momma rabbits (so I've heard) teach their young what to eat. Of course, a domestic wouldn't have had any training. Domestic rabbits have been known to adapt somewhat to "wild" living but the risk of predation is always there. I think I would lean more toward giving it to a rescue. They'll do a vet check and hopefully find a home for him.

I'd attempt to catch him if you've got rescues that will take him/her. One domestic rabbit is probably not a huge issue but it generally is a bad thing for domestic anything to be released into the wild, ecologically, and removing even one that doesn't belong there can only help.

Our Californian, Barnaby (aka Big Bunny) was abandoned in a park. He was found/caught by someone like you and brought to a bunny-savvy animal shelter. While he did have to wait there for a few months, he found a forever home with us and now has a little "wifey" named Harley Quinn, so he never has to be lonely (they bonded crazy fast after being adopted on the same day - within 2-3 days they were living together!).

He's a very happy bunny who lives a spoiled and luxurious life here - he never has to worry about it being too hot or raining or where to find water or proper nutrition to help him live a long, full life. No one will ever try to eat him. If he gets sick, there will be someone to take him to the vet. He loves being groomed by HQ and having his ears and the bridge of his nose rubbed by his human slaves. He devours fresh veggies like there's no tomorrow. He'll get on his hind legs and do a little dance when he thinks you're about to feed pellets or treats.

There is NO doubt in my mind that Big Bunny is happier and safer here with us than he would've been had no one rescued him from the park. :D

today he/she was really close to entering the cardboard box with veggies when angry lady rode her bike between me and the bunny saying "You have no business of doing it, I am going to call the police". Not sure what made her so mad, she probably thought I was feeding and trying to catch a wild rabbit, she didn't want to talk to me. The bunny got scared and ran away from the box. I threw him the veggies, he really enjoyed some kale today

Ugh, some people. Sounds like progress though, hopefully you will get him soon and not have to deal with crazy lady again!

Latest posts

Back