Loose poops after feedling pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBG

Reaction score
I was advised by a vet that since my 11+ yr old bunny lost .5 lb in a year, that we should start feeding him Oxbow Bunny 15/23 and Timothy pellets. He loves the pellets, but it appears that it is upsetting his stomach. His poops are very loose. I just took the pellets away.

He is drinking, but not really eating his hay.

The bunny is so sad looking from not feeling well. We feel so bad for him.

I called the vet. I'm awaiting a callback.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How much did you give and did you go directly to the mix of alfalfa and timothy pellets?

If you did too much too soon, that could have caused the upset. I would start with a small amount, like 1/2 tablespoon, and work up to the amount you want. Like any new food, it can take time for a rabbit to get used to it.

Giving both the alfalfa and timothy pellets could have contributed. It would be 2 new foods at once. Start with 1 and get to the amount you want, then introduce the other in small amounts.

Some rabbits just can't tolerate large amounts of pellets.

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion seems real good.

Sounds like I'll wait until his poops are normal and then try your suggestion.

Is that correct?

Weight loss in elder buns (and elder people) is normal, it's just a natural muscle wasting process.

You don't want to increase their protein because elder buns also can also have kidney issues.

You may want to add Nutri-cal, a calorie and vitamin supplement, or something like that to his diet, but I'm not sure about the higher protein pellets.

The loose stools could be an overproduction of cecals caused by simply eating too many of the pellets at once, but that can send their whole systems out of whack.

What were you feeding him before? Increasing his hay intake and cutting right down on the pellets for 24 hours or so should help, and then make changes gradually.

sas :clover:

The vet said the same thing re:elder bunnies and people losing weight. That's why she suggested the two types of pellets.

My bunny is on a Timothy hay and water only diet.

BTW: I'm the same poster that posted about the incontinence problem that my bunny has.

Oh, right!

We're still not entirely sure his problem is arthritis, though, right? If I recall, the blood test showed a possible infection somewhere?

Did his urine get tested? The poop issue may just be a diet thing, but it can also signal other problems.

A rabbit won't always show signs of infection, you can't count on blood in the urine or anything else. Just a change in litter habits could be the only clue. They tend to remain active with good appetites even when they're sick. When it progresses to an appetite loss or GI disorder, they're usually very sick. The Metacam may also be masking any discomfort urinating.

Hay and water should help the immediate poop problem. If he was only getting hay and water before getting the pellets, that makes it more likely to be a diet issue.

Rabbits really do need more nutrients and variety than just hay and water, so adding pellets is good, but it will have to be gradual, and other health issues should be ruled out.

How does he do with small amounts of veggies? (It was probably mentioned, but I forget).

sas :clover:

How is his urine scald?

We still haven't been able to get a urine sample taken. His blood test didn't show an infection, but it showed some sort of inflammation.

Caramel hasn't eaten vegetables in years. In fact, he never was a very big vegetable eater.

I believe his poop problem is from the pellets. I took the pellets away hours ago, and his poops are pretty much back to normal. As I write this posting, Caramel is eating his hay.

As suggested, I'll give him 1/2 tablespoon of 1 type of pellets; I'll wait until tomorrow to do that or even Sunday.

How often should I give him 1/2 tablespoon until I increase the amount?

Thanks.

JBG wrote:
As suggested, I'll give him 1/2 tablespoon of 1 type of pellets; I'll wait until tomorrow to do that or even Sunday.

How often should I give him 1/2 tablespoon until I increase the amount?

Thanks.
I would do the same amount until his poops are normal for a few days. There may be some mushy poops and they may get darker. Once they are more normal, then increase the amount. Once you get to the amount you want, keep him on that for about a week before starting the other pellet so he gets time to adjust fully. So do 1/2 tablespoon on day 1 and do that amount for a couple days. If he is fine with that, increase by 1/2 tablespoon per day.

Latest posts

Back