Looking into getting rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaya

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting some rabbits, and I was wondering what I would need, and what is nice to have. I am planning on keeping them outside most of the time, or in our barn, because my dad won't let me have them in the house.

Also hoping I put this in the right place, I'm not really sure.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
What kind of rabbits you think and how many? You want them as pets or for shows or for something else? Do you have any idea what breed or type would you want to keep? Any pics from google of rabbits you like would help us to understand what you mean by getting some rabbits!

I was thinking probably two, and I'm honestly not sure what breeds, I was also wondering what breeds would do best in warmer places, and I want them just for pets, not for showing or anything.

Oh you're in the right forum then :)
There are so many different breeds from giants to dwarfs, if you are in warmer place maybe fluffy breeds like angora wouldn't suit you but there are still plenty of them

Also you can find and visit your local rabbit rescue and maybe get a couple rabbits from them they can be just mixed breed but I would recommend that as they will be already neutered and bonded so would be easier for you to handle while you are still not that experienced.

Thank you. I was also wondering how big of an enclosure I would need if they had to stay in there all day while I was at school.

There are some guides of course it's never too big

http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp

sizeguide.png

Thank you again. I’m really just trying to figure out everything, I’ve read several guides online and stuff, but haven’t actually talked to anyone who has rabbits other than a youth.

My rabbits are all indoor but here are plenty of people who keep their rabbits outdoor as well sure it is good to get some practical advice in addition to theory guides.

I really wish I could have them inside, but my dad won’t let me.

We got our first two domestic rabbits, the ones in my avatar, from a rescue and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. If you must keep your rabbits outdoors, put them in a place where you can spend plenty of time with them. In other words, the place needs to be comfortable for you as well as your rabbits.

It is altogether too easy to get busy with other things and forget to spend plenty of time with your rabbits. They will become more comfortable with you, that way. Rabbits are not naturally cuddly, so be prepared to take a long time for them to become what you hope they'll be.

To keep them outside be sure they have plenty of ventilation in the warm temps, and out of the sun. In winter they’ll need to be protected from the cold wind. Rabbits can withstand the cold better than hot.

I tried to edit my post but the time expired. Here is my afterthought:

When we first got our bunnies I would sit on the floor with them at feeding time and treats time. It wasn't long until they'd get so excited over the treats that they'd jump up on my lap. That was my first big "bunny thrill." I loved it and so did they.

I quickly learned to go easy on the treats. One of our buns tends to put on weight; so, I had to stop the sweets, altogether. Now, two small bits of papaya is all they get each day.

Get the Dwarf breeds and build a large cage with encloser to. Because small breeds like netherland dwarf.

Don’t use chicken wire to your bunny cage, predators and bunnies can easily chew through that wire ^^

Your bunnies will need a place they can dig be off ground during night if they are outside and not in a barn/ small shed that have solid floor.

Having mosquitoes net around their cage will help to protect them from getting diseases. If you have no rabbit diseases in your country then that’s not so important :)

Thank you. Everything you guys are saying is really helpful.

Latest posts

Back