Looking for a Bunny Leash

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharahbear

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a leash for my 5.5lb Dutch. Even the XL ones from pet stores are too small.

Does anyone know where I can find a larger size? I have found some string ones but they lasted about 3 seconds lol. Comfort is a priority as well :)

Why dont you buy a cat harness? It will be big enough :) If for some weird reason, it doesnt fit, like if its too small.. a small/medium dog harness!!

I've seen most people use an "H" harness meant for cats, but all the ones at petco/petsmart have a extra strap that goes between the front legs, which I don't want to use with my bun just to make putting it on/off easier. I did find out that Lupine makes the right kind of harness for what I've seen, and I've seen pics of buns on this forum wearing the Lupine harnesses.

http://www.lupinepet.com/cat/cats.php

^^ That is the official site for what they look like. They don't sell direct from the site, but there is "Find a Dealer" that lets you look for stores around you that do carry them, or you can order them off other sites.

I haven't purchased one yet, so I can't give a testament for how they work with bunnies, but they ARE an excellent brand for dog collars.

For a Dutch, a small or medium cat harness should fit. The H style one is best. Avoid the rope and figure 8 harnesses as they can choke a rabbit.

Check smaller, local stores. They tend to have a better selection and better prices. than the big box pet stores. Stores like Walmart or Target could also be good if they have the right harness.
See if you can bring your rabbit with you to try on harnesses. Most pet store do allow you to bring pets in. Just make sure you have him in a carrier for safety since you don't have a harness yet.

For the leash, many harnesses come with a 4ft leash. 4ft is too short to really let your rabbit roam. A 6-8ft leash would be better, you can use 2 4ft leashes connected together. Avoid retractable leashes as a rabbit can get tangled, the handle can hurt a rabbit if you let go and they have constant tension on the harness.

I use one of these.
http://www.dogsupplies.com/products/Susie-Q-Lupine-Step-In-Dog-Harness.html
They are nice since the rabbit is able to step into it and does not need to have anything go over its head. My bunnies HATE having things go over their head. They also have only 1 clip which makes them fast, plus the double D-ring means there is less stress on the plastic clip and a good failover system in case it comes unclipped (I am a bit paranoid about my bunnies getting out of their leashes.

I bought an H style cat harness with a 6ft leash combo at Fleet Farm (farm/hardware supply store). And it fits Muppet very well. I just have to adjust it every week or so because she won't stop growing! ;)

Latest posts

Back