Long week... tough decisions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
So I have finally had a consult with an oncologist. He has recommended that I do radioactive iodine (RAI)treatments (probably just one is necessary). He did tell me that sometimes salivatory glands can be affected but the effects typically only last 2 days. And I thought, alright, I can live with that. But when I got home I joined a group of people who are or have been in my shoes and I wanted their takes on side effects of RAI treatments.

It turns out there is a lot doctors don't tell you. The salivatory glands can be permanently damaged causing pain that will come and go for years. There is no treatment for this side effect and it can show up anywhere from hours to years after RAI. This is a COMMON side effect which is very concerning to me. And a side effect of the salivatory glands being affected is dry mouth and taste/smell impairment.They also didn't tell me that sometimes your tear ducts can become blocked and surgery is about the only way to correct this. There is also a chance of a person's vision being affected by RAI. Fatigue can also be a side effect, and can last up to a year which is a very big concern as I suffer from fatigue already and struggle just to make through each day as it is, and I worry how much worse that could get for me.

The one thing that I did discuss with him was my major concern for the fact that exposure to radiation can increase the risk of other cancers later in life which does scare me as almost everyone in my mom's immediate family (her dad, and her 2 sisters) have had cancer, sometimes reoccuring. It scares me to no end to think that I could be putting myself at more of a risk than I am already predisposed to due to my genes. The oncologist told me that yes there is an increased risk, but its about 1% (which does not ease my mind because my chances of being in this position right now at this point in my lifewas less than that). He also said the chances of the thyroid cancer reoccuring for me were higher without treatment than getting another cancer from this treatment. I am still very worried about other cancers as this treatment increases the chances of cancers like Leukemia and non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma which is a very scary prospect.

But now I'm so confused. I thought this cancer was going to be easy to deal with but it turns out that when they say it's a "good cancer" it's not really true... Yes they can cure it but are the side effects really worth putting up with for the rest of my life when there is a decent chance this cancer will never affect me again without further treatment? I really wish there was an easy answer.

Sorry I just needed to vent a little, I've had some rough few days. Despite knowing it was cancer, a few months ago I never through I would have be making decisions like this.

If the thyroid cancer does reoccur, will it be any harder to get rid of or be any different because its a re-occurrence? Will the treatment be the same as what you've had done in the past and what they're suggesting now for the future?

Really sorry you're going through this, truly awful stuff. :(

s :hug:

I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that typically if it reoccurs, it metastasizes and often times ends up in the lymphnodes. I am making an appointment with my GP to discuss it with him as I trust his opinion as he was the one who warned me to question every decision that others were trying to force on me as sometimes the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
The one thing that I did discuss with him was my major concern for the fact that exposure to radiation can increase the risk of other cancers later in life

When my son Anthony had cancer and went through 6 weeks of radiation treatments,after having his chemo....i never really thought about that before.

I really am so very sorry you are going through this Laura..it's a tough thing

MBB - this is probably late in coming, but my dad had thyroid cancer as well as the RAI treatment. If you want to chat about it, PM me.

Latest posts

Back