Long term Meloxicam experiences, any side effects?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
Hi,

my 4yo house bunny Herr Hase has athrosis in the hip, vet gave me Meloxicam for 2 weeks. Then switched to Traumeel, said to try this to avoid long term side effects (not specified). Giving it for 2 weeks now, but that stuff does nothing at all, as far as I can tell.

It got worse the last few days, doesn't use his right leg anymore, although he's a brave boy he clearly suffers and gives a downbeat impression, it's hard to watch. I'm giving him low dose of Ibuprofen until monday when I can see the vet and can get more of the real stuff.

So, I would be happy to hear about experiences with long term Meloxicam, dosage, side effects, etc., just to know some background when talking to the vet, I'll need a long term prescription, not just for a few days.

Also, the vet gave me a bottle for cats, that stuff would cost me more every day than I need for eating etc, with only able to work for 3h/week due to Covid and the possibility of losing my job altogether (my first real job, needed more than 20 years to find a niche where I fit in, would be much more difficult in the years to come, wont happen again) that is not good. I've seen that I could get the same stuff, marketed for dogs or other animals, for 5% of that price, but no idea how I could order from the UK, with all that prescription and stuff.
If anyone has an idea about that, shoot, I'm really bad at online shopping.

Like:
https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/metacam-oral-suspension-for-dogs
It went ok for some time, but now it got worse rapidly, the meloxicam really made a difference at his last acute episode.
In reality long term health issues do not matter since I worry he just gives up at some point if that goes on, not going to watch that.

Attachments

• Herr Hase 08-05-2020.jpg
    Herr Hase 08-05-2020.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
My bunny Alarec has been on Meloxicam for years. I only give once a day 0.43ml. He has his bloodwork done and remains good. He has really bad arthritis in front paws. I have RA and have asked the vet if bunnies can get RA and he said no. He takes it once a day, every day. His front paw fingers are all shifted to the left on each front paw. He is a senior and has done very well long term. My bunny is a little old man with multiple health issues. But he is loving, active, sweet and happy. If your bun is on longer term Metacam be sure to have vet monitoring. How one bunny does may be different than another!

Thanks,

I only give once a day 0.43m

How much is that in mg, there are different concentrations available, and what is his weight?

I give my bun 15mg Ibuprofen twice a day (4,4kg), gosh, what a difference. Lets see what the vet says on Monday.

20200330_182943.jpg
Thanks,

How much is that in mg, there are different concentrations available, and what is his weight?

I give my bun 15mg Ibuprofen twice a day (4,4kg), gosh, what a difference. Lets see what the vet says on Monday.

I have a 3 lb dwarf, weight/dosage have to be spot on. It really makes a difference when you see your bunny hopping around. He was on x2 a day at first but long term my vet likes him on minimal dosage because it can affect their liver. Bunnies have so many issues as they age but I adore senior bunnies. I made mine some ankle socks as well because sometimes carpet makes them sore. I hope your bunny does great and is happy.

My 10 yr old rabbit was on it for about 6 months for arthritis. She weighed 1.7kg and got 0.5ml (0.75mg) of the 1.5mg/ml suspension, twice a day. It was at the higher dosage range because any lower or not given twice daily, and it didn't help ease her discomfort.

Even after she lost use of her hind limbs due to spinal degeneration, I could still tell the meloxicam helped. She was perkier when she got it and more subdued when she didn't. She didn't seem to suffer any ill effects from the long term use, but she died of old age before a blood test was done to check any effects on her kidneys.

Awww, I so love senior bunnies. If I ever won the lottery I would have a senior bunny daycare & hospice bunny center. They are so fragile as they age. My bunny is deaf and blind too but knows where things are and sniffs to find his food. Sometimes he goes in wrong direction and I have to reboot him. Under a vet's supervision it can make a huge difference. Its very expensive, new users should know its not cheap!

Latest posts

Back