Long lived peanut?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
I have a peanut out of my most recent Mini Rex litter that is still hanging in there. I don't know about anyone else, but before this, three days is the longest any of mine have lasted. This one, like I said, is three weeks old. It is way smaller than the others in the litter, and it has very teensy ears. I took a comparison pic, just to show everyone. I have no idea how long it will live, (not letting myself get my hopes up) but if it does live past weaning a friend of mine has totally fallen in love with it. Checkout this pic, see what you guys think of this!

I think its precious - I hope it lives for you. My longest-living peanut was 12 days if I remember right....and it hurt like the dickens when he died (Charlie).I still think of him at times...like today when I had FOUR litters born!

Peg

Oh my! I'm not surprised your friend wants it, who could resist falling in love with that little sweetheart. Those are the teeniest ears I have ever seen. I really hope it makes it, I will have my fingers crossed for you.

I had a Jersey Wooly peanut last 6weeks!!! I had fed him though. Yours looks almost like it is a Netherland Dwarf baby in disquise!!LOL.

Sharon

i would be careful on selling it, or even giving it away. we had one live to 6 weeks old, then one day i went out into the barn and the poor thing just was fading away, even though i told myself to expect this, got attached and tried everything i possibly could to save it, sadly it didn't make it.

i would hold onto him for longer after weaning the rest, wouldn't want to let another person get attached to it just for it to end up like all peanuts do.

I had a kit I thought was a peanut and every day I expected to find it had died butit was still alive. Of course it was the friendliest little thing! At about 12 weeks and half the normal size my sister took it and I warned her I didn't know how long it would live and may have problems. Well..........I saw that little bun last week at about 6 mos old now and she is HUGE! A very normal size AFL with full coat and no problems to report.....maybe she was just a tiny runt....maybe your little one is too. My kit never has issues with back legs like most peanuts do. Good Luck! It just may make it!

I've told my friend not to get her hopes up, and I'm trying to take my own advice, LOL! Of course, now my Hubby, who almost never has anything to do with my bunnies, is rooting for him too. I really don't think he could be a runt, his eyes and head shape are just not quite right. I don't know about his hindquarters, he seems to hop ok. He is a real cutie, though, and I hope he makes it. My friend and I were joking that as tiny as he is, we could just get him a hamster cage! He is the size of a hamster right now--one of the smaller hamsters at that!

OH MY! That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!I hope this little guy lives :(. I'll be hoping that it does! I'd love a little guy like that :).

A friend of mine & a member of this board is going through the same exact thing right now. (LOL... sorry to call you out Berlena!...lol)

She's got a 2 week old (give or take some days) Broken Blue peanut that has hung on so far. Cute littlething too!...lol.

One of the responses she's gotten from another breeder states that they've had a couple similar that lived to be about 6 months old and weighed less than 2 pounds... but all eventually passed due to what was believed to be complications/ deficiencies with their immune systems. Another breeder stated that their peanuts that lived to be between 3-4 months eventually passed either when their mothers milk dried up or when they were weaned... she suspected the only thing keeping them alive was their mothers milk as their digestive system was underdeveloped.

Basically root all you wantfor it, but try not to get your hopes up too high.

Here isthe fullthread and some other replies (This is on the NMRRC website)

http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/2049472626/fetch/569168/

He's still with us. He has develeped an eye infection though. I have tried using an NFZ Puffer on a bunnie's eye infection before and it didn't work, basically just kept it from running rampant. Unfortunatly, the Puffer is all I have available to me right now. I have tried every darn store in town looking for the Terramyicin Eye ointment and they either don't carry it or they are backordered on it. I have some ordered from a catalog, but they are backordered on it too! So it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get the stuff!
I'm going out of my mind here! Has anyone else had this problem getting a hold of the Terramyicin ointment? I'm going to try using the Puffer on him until I have the Terramyicin, hoping it will keep the infection down at least.

Well, when I needed it for my mice I was able to find one feed store that carried it. But it can certainly be a pain to get a hold of.

In the meantime, I've heard tea bag compresses (like Chamomille) work wonders to reduce inflammation and discharge.

Well, Peanut is still hanging in there. His eyes seem to be ok, just every once in a while they will get just slightly goopy. I finally got my Terramyicin ointment, so I put some in his eyes this am to see if it clears it up. You should see him (or her? too tiny to tell) when he goes to drink out of the water dish! He has to stand up on his hind legs, and stretch over the rim of the dish to drink! I do my best to keep it brimful so he can reach it. To eat, he just climbs in the feed dish and hangs out in there until he's done. And all the others, including the mom, just eat around him! LOL. It's so cute, the other babies will groom him, and the mom will still let him nurse, I think she's pretty much stopped nursing all the normal kits.

Latest posts

Back