Long car trip, exposure at vets, exposure from me at shelter, dusty hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I went to madison i took babette on thatlong car trip when Beau had his teeth pulled and they housed him at thevets for the day. Could she have caught something from the vets office,was that car ride and the whole day too stressful for a 6 yr old?. Iam also fearful that I brought an illnrss home from the shelter?? Ialso noticed that my last batch of Oxbow timothy was really reallydusty..could that have caused this. ????I Babette is my oldest bun andhas never had a sick day in all 6 yrs. I think that is why i am so upset

I'd try shaking out the hay. The vet and shelterbuns are also possible sources. But many rabbits carryPasteurella or other bacteria for years with no symptoms. Thepopulation is so small that it doesn't harm the rabbit and her immunesystem easily keeps it in check. Then one day something setsthem off and you get a respiratory infection, abcess, ear infection,etc. So it's not necessarily from a specific source.

Just like M.E.'s Peanut who is also 6 (I think) and had never ever been sick.

My friend's rabbit here just died of respiratoryproblems...he was 6 yr. old. Guess 6 is a bad year for buns. Angela doyou think that it is safe fro me to go the shelter if I bathe and wearclean clothes before I go as i don't want to infect them either...I wassupposed to go yesterday but had too much to do here??

I also think some bunnies just have a bit weaker immune system. Its weird becaise Beau isnt showing any signs of infection.

I keep expecting my Basil to get this infection Max has, but no signs yet.

Did you say that she is wheezing or is it just runny nose? Could just be allergies..

Babette seems better but this is more in herlungs than face. Her nose and eyes are not runny. Yesterdayshe was occasionally making weird sort of snorting honking sounds.Today she is quiet, breathing less labored. Pammock mentionedcongestive heart failure. I am keeping that in my head at least if shedoes not improve daily. I have the vaporizer going and she found thespot next to the fence where the steam is coming in..she wants thesteam. She is also eating OK. I plan to get more meds for her tomorrowas I also don't think that 1 week is enough: I want to put Beau back onsomething as I'm fairly sure he will get it as he seems to always havesomething wrong. I can go to my usual vet tomorrow although now I have4 vets that I use here. The 5 in the room all seem fine..the 1 shelterbunny in the bathroom is also fine but I wish i didn't have the feelingthat she is a carrier. She was at the shelter a very short time beforeshe was spayed and came here. Usually they are at the shelter longerand if they are sick it presents itself. I am not going to the shelteruntil tomorrow or Tues. I have to put it out of my head as they need methere too.; I just have too much to do here. I am interested, Haley, inhow Max is doing? Also any thoughts or ideas on Babette keep themcoming. Babette was my bunny "rock" the one that proved to me that notall rabbits get sick easily. I guess that 6 is getting up there, atleast the beginning of old age. She is a caramel and white brokenmini-lop, very pretty..thanks for all the suggestions.. wouldn't haveever thought of a vaporizer

Also, Im thinking that the antibiotics take afew days to really kick in. Max's wheezing is still there, but it seemsto be lessening day by day. I think the vaporizer is helping a lot.Theres steam on my windows and its very cozy in the room!

Did you buy anything to put in yours? I bought the vicks vaporstuff..its great. I'll keep you posted on Max. Our bunnies are theopposite right now. Max with the teeth/abscess problems and now theinfection while Basil is fine. Im surprised (and glad) its not Beauwith the infection.

Oh, and another question...is Beau on any antibiotics for his teeth problems? If so, that would make sense why he's not sick...

Is she swelling a bit around hermiddle? Sometimes with congestive heart failure they get alot of fluid built up in their chests. Just something to lookfor. Hopefully it's not that. :pray:

IMO, Rabbits can handle car ridesbetter then ppl think they can. When we moved from Nebraskato Los Angeles, we drove for 3 days, total 25 hrs, and our buns werefine. Of cource just like rabbit personalities, rabbits candiffer in reaction to a car ride.

she's not swollen around the middle at all andwhen I listened with a stethoscope there wasn't any "wet" or gurglysounds just sort of a rasp. i think that she's improving..didn't likeme trying to sneak the stethoscope under her at all...just moved away.Babette has always been a bit of a snob bunny

Heres hoping she is recovering!

Its a good sign if her nose isnt running. You could have caught itearly enough that she was being treated before it really had a chanceto spread to Beau...

Keep us posted. I'll be keeping them both in my prayers.

Beau had been on antibiotics for his mouth andteeth for about 2 months. He has been off for only about 7. He may getsomething we'll have to see. I didn't put anything in the vaporizer butwater as I have a parrot in the same room and I'm afraid of exposinghim to vicks. She seems fine with just steam as this house is dry andmy skin is like toast.

Idunno anything about travel and pets.Any time they need to come with me in a car or something I just stickthem in the car right by my seat (for t3h company). Even on afew 9 hour trips my rabbits never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back