Loki's blocked tear duct

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I hadn't made a thread about it, but I hadchatted a little about Loki having a blocked tear duct. Thevet flushed it two weeks ago, but said that it didn't feel like itflushed all the way and he may need to flush it again. Well,Loki's eye is still runny so we have an appointment in anhour.:( I hope it works this time. This is hisrunny eye:

x5cg01.jpg

Poor Loki. There were so many dogsthere! Dogs coming in, dogs going out, and they all wanted toeat him! By the time we got into the patient room, he hadmucous all around his eye from stress.:(

The good news is that he didn't have to have his eye flushedagain. It's running less than it did before the first flush,and the vet said that liquid isn't pooling in his eye like it wasbefore. It looks like his other eye, except that it's alittle more wet. Apparently that's okay, but if his eyestarts running more then it will need to get flushed again.So it looks like this is chronic, but it's not that bad.

That picture is recent. I only cleaned his eye once betweenthe last tear duct flush and this vet visit. Before that, Iwas cleaning it every day or two because it was getting so crusty.

aww look at that sweet looking face,poor littleguy,i guess having a runny eye would be so irritating for Loki,can ijust ask how do they flush the eyes?

cheryl

Basically, they put a small catheter into thetear duct and run saline through it. It can usually be donewithout anesthesia, although really bad cases may need it. Myvet did it without putting Loki out, but was concerned that he'd haveto anesthetize Loki and flush the duct again. Thankfully hedidn't have to do that.

thanks for that naturstee,i did not think thatthey could do something like that without putting the bunny tosleep,how did loki go the first time,did he wriggle around or did hejust let the vet do what he had to do?

cheryl

Well, I wasn't there because they did it in thesurgery room and you can't go there without scrubs on. Butthe vet said he behaved really well, better than otherrabbits. He was probably too scared to do much, plus my vetis really good at gently convincing rabbits to stay still.I'm still amazed at how easily he handled Tank!

hehehe i suppose Loki was thinking well i betterbe a good boy to get this over and done with quick so he can get outtathere as fast as he can:)

glad to hear everything is fine with him and he didnt have to get the flush treatment again:)

cheryl

When Jacques get his tear duct flushed theyalways give me Gentocin eye drops 1 drop 2x per day for 2weeks. Did Loki get drops? With jacques it seems to be a chronic problem

No, I wasn't given any meds for him.The vet said he doesn't appear to have an infection at all, especiallysince the eye looks so much better with just the flush. Ikind of figured that because it started with an allergicreaction.

Awwww, poor sweety bunnie :(Give him a scrunch from us!:hug:

Benji ended up NOT having to have a flush either. Within a few days ofmy last post, his eyes cleared up nicely. I've been very diligent aboutcleaning his eyes daily, keeping his cage clean, sifting dust from hayand pellets, etc. I think Benji's problem is allergies.

~Jim

naturestee wrote:
No, I wasn't given any meds for him. The vet saidhe doesn't appear to have an infection at all, especially since the eyelooks so much better with just the flush. I kind of figuredthat because it started with an allergicreaction.
Loki's eye looks much "wetter "than Jacquesever gets..with Jacques she thinks its probably mild pasturella andwhen she flushes it she gets whitish discharge back. Is Loki allergicto something specific or Is it just the season? By the way he is quitethe handsome guy. :D

Loki is allergic to pellet dust. I'veseen this several times before, but not as bad. Hay dustdoesn't seem to bother him but I keep my eye on that too.

This whole time he has rarely gotten any "boogers." Once ortwice before the first flush, then both times waiting at the vet'soffice due to stress. Other than that, it's really thin andclear. The only reason I know if it's running is if his furgets crunchy again after I clean it, or it gets worse.Occasionally I can feel a slight wetness by his eye when Ipet him. Before his eye flush, he had a big crunchy patch andeven his eyelashes were crunchy, poor guy. And that was withfrequent cleaning.

JimD, that's what Loki's reaction is usually like too. Hiseyes will run for a few days then clear up. He only neededthe flush because it didn't clear up this last time.

I just read in the paper that the pollen counthere is extremely high and that allergy sufferers are really havingsymptoms right now..so maybe he has other allergies too.

angieluv wrote:
I just read in the paper that the pollen count here isextremely high and that allergy sufferers are really having symptomsright now..so maybe he has other allergies too.
It's always possible. It's only in one eye though.:?

naturestee wrote:
angieluv wrote:
I just readin the paper that the pollen count here is extremely high and thatallergy sufferers are really having symptoms right now..so maybe he hasother allergies too.
It's always possible. It's only in one eye though.:?
I've actually been having problems with pollen in only oneeye.I now its because of the pollen but Ican'tfigure out why it iseffecting one eye and notthe other.Oh well... How isLoki's eye doing now?

It's the same as it was last week, which meanshe has a small amount of thin clear discharge. My vet did saythat the tearing may or may not stop, but that there wasn't anything tobe done about that.

angieluv wrote:
If it is an allergy and not an infection Loki should beOK..other than the vet bill!!!!
Hey, it's nothing like Fey's bill when she got hurt. I'm not complaining!:D

Actually, my vet is pretty inexpensive compared to the vets inMilwaukee or a lot of vets I've heard of here. And he's nevercharged me for a recheck, even with Fey when her original treatment wasdone at a different facility.

Latest posts

Back