Loki has a lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I was petting Loki today and I found a really big lump on his hip. It's approximately 1 cm in diameter and sticks out almost as far. I don't think I felt anything under his skin. It doesn't seem to be pussy or feel like the other few abscesses I've felt. Also, it's bloody because either Loki is overgrooming it or his bondmate Mocha is. I feel so bad because it seems huge. It's on his hip down near his leg where I usually don't pet him much because he prefers back rubs and face massages. I'm hoping its benign and can be easily removed.

FYI he's acting very happy. When I found it, he was sitting with me on the couch getting petted. He was insistent that I not get any homework done while he was out.

I guess that you have to get a biopsy :(
is the lump covered with fur/ can you get a pic of it ?

My Rudy who is older (butI have no idea how old ??) is really overweight and also has developed a fatty tumor on his right side which has been very slowly growing ..( really slow)
I didn't take him in because I was fairly sure that it was not a malignancy and I was hoping thatI wouldn't need to have anything done
It is getting big now so he has to go in also.

I need James to hold Loki so I can get a picture. He's been so busy with his play, but this is the last weekend for that. The lump will have to be removed because Loki is overgrooming it, and then it can get biopsied. To me, it looks a lot like the benign tumors that dogs sometimes get. I'm sure the vet will try a needle aspiration on Saturday but I really don't think there's any pus in there, and James doesn't think so either.

I should add that he also seems really skinny. It hasn't been that long since his last molar grind and he still eats everything in sight like normal. I don't like thinking of him as an old man, but I suppose at 7 that he really is.:(

I'm going to have the vet check Loki's liver and kidney values before he does the removal. Its been nearly a year so he is due anyway.

Good news! The lump was a fibroma, which is benign and common (and thankfully what I thought it was). Actually, it fell off when the vet started touching it! It was being pushed out of the skin, capsule and all. I was told that it might happen again in the same spot, and if that happens then he would remove it surgically and take a little extra tissue. That isn't too bad because it is in the fleshy part of his hip.

Other than that, Loki looks great for his age. His teeth are still doing good (last molar grind in November) and he has great musculature. His eyes are starting to cloud a little, but there isn't anything that can be done about that and he still has good light response. He didn't loose any weight since November and he wasn't dehydrated, so I don't know why he feels a little skinny to me.

That's great news! I was worried about him and I'm really glad to hear it's nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back