Locked up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Ok sky has gone too far, Last night her and Sonic(her husband) broke out of there cage, So I went down and put them back in it! So I went back to sleep thinking it was a once off, But mam had to put them back in at 4 in the morning so then at 6.30am mam came running up saying the rabbits were out AGAIN, and Sky was in the flower bed I dashed down as quick as possible and there she was running around in the flower bed, I don't know how she got in there as the flower bed is at least 2 feet off the ground if not more, but luckly I got her back in, and I am now forced to put a LOCK on there cage so we have NO more excaping. I just hope she didn't eat any of the flowers she seems alright now!

Just went back out and saw that Sonic's nose is really swollen and there is blood in the cage, but from what I can tell no real damage was done just a dent in his pride and a swollen nose, As far as I can tell he doesn't need to see a vet as the nose is completely still attached to his body!

"is at least 2 feet off the ground if not more"

That's nothing for them to clear...my buck jumps up on top of his cage, which is on top of a sturdy platic shelving unit, and that makes a total of 4.5ft (I know, because I'm almost 5'5"). He's an Olympic jumper, and if he WANTS to get on top of something or out and over, he has the jumper springs to do it, lol.
Sorry about the escape act, they can be little rascals, can't they.

anneq wrote:
"is at least 2 feet off the ground if not more"

That's nothing for them to clear...my buck jumps up on top of his cage, which is on top of a sturdy platic shelving unit, and that makes a total of 4.5ft (I know, because I'm almost 5'5"). He's an Olympic jumper, and if he WANTS to get on top of something or out and over, he has the jumper springs to do it, lol.
Sorry about the escape act, they can be little rascals, can't they.
Why tell me this I'm worried now what there going to get into! Oh and they defiantly are rascals, especially my buck swyer he jumps like a kangaroo on speed lol!

My baby bun(Daisy) got out last night too. My dog kept barking last night, which she usually barks anyways. But she was barkingmore last night(from 1am to 6am). I would have never thought that my baby bun was out. I don't even know how she got out of her NIC cage. So I'm hoping she didn't eat something she wasn't suppose too. My house isn't rabbit proof, cause I don't let them thru the house yet. We went looking for her, and she hopped out of my sons room. Then hopped down the hall to my room, behind the bed.

Next time I know my dogis trying to tell me something. I will check my rabbits. :biggrin2:

I'd be very worried if these were my bunnies outside getting out of their cages. Their are alot of preditors that can and will get them.

Is theri no way you guys can keep your bunnies inside so they are safe?

Susan :)

If it's an enclosed yard it may be safe enough. There are not that many natural predators in Ireland unless you have neighbiurs dogs that manage to get into the garden. Two of my bunnies are out free in the garden all day and they come in at night. i'd never had a break out though unless i didn't shut the hutch properly. Paul, do you know how they manage to open the catch?

My garden is surrounded by 6ft walls so I have no fear of anything getting in, As Ireland doesn't have large birds of pray. Oh and They just have to push the cage open but I have know put a lock, yes a LOCK on there cage LOL! So no more escaping!

A lock should really do the trick. I used to have a problem with one of the doors in an outdoor run. They managed to lift it up and then push it open. I had to use wires to tie the door shut

A rabbit is not a dumb animal, thinking that merely shutting a door behind them without a locking mechanism will hold them in is folly. Even if they don't realise they can push it open, they'll learn from you as you open and close it, or will brush up to it by accident pushing it open. From there they will learn how to open it and will escape constantly.

All cages should have a locking mechanism on them no matter how simple. A piece of twine can mean life or death to our little ones.

Saudade wrote:
A rabbit is not a dumb animal, thinking that merely shutting a door behind them without a locking mechanism will hold them in is folly. Even if they don't realise they can push it open, they'll learn from you as you open and close it, or will brush up to it by accident pushing it open. From there they will learn how to open it and will escape constantly.

All cages should have a locking mechanism on them no matter how simple. A piece of twine can mean life or death to our little ones.
When Nick wants out of his pen, he will rattle the door part. I use clips to hold it shut, and if I don't open the door fast enough for him, Nick will start chewing on the clip. He doesn't know how the clip works, and couldn't unhook it if he did, but he's smart enough to know that the clip is what is keeping the door closed.

BethM wrote:
Saudade wrote:

When Nick wants out of his pen, he will rattle the door part. I use clips to hold it shut, and if I don't open the door fast enough for him, Nick will start chewing on the clip. He doesn't know how the clip works, and couldn't unhook it if he did, but he's smart enough to know that the clip is what is keeping the door closed.

Storm is the same way I have a clip on myne NIC cage also. With a piece of rope hanging down Storm will try to pull the rope when he wants in or out of his cage.

He knows we use that rope some how he just cant figure out how just yet. He also could not get the clip off if he knew how so I am not worried about him.

Well sky has nothing wrong with her so I don't think she got to eat any flowers(thank god). And No more escapes since from them!

Well that's the reason why they're getting out then - because you had no way of keeping the door shut in the first place ;)

Cages are supposed to have latches, or sliding locks or something to keep the door in place and the rabbits from pushing it open.

Gosh, if I didn't have locks on my bunnies cages...wooh I don't even want to think about what would happen! It'd be crazy, that's all I can say.

Emily

I may end up having to put some child proof lock onto my hutches. I just discovered that my toddler has figured out how to open the catch. Tonight they were all back in the garden after we had put them in and then we figured out that Karla was letting them out again:D

Ah hah! The toddler is the culprit (bet the bunnies were sending her secret messages......'let us out Karla, let us out.)LoL

LOL Sabine, rather clever daughter haha. I babysit some little kiddies, one of them is 10 months old and her and her sister where out on the deck playing and she bum shuffled along and pulled herself up with the cage and pulled the latch open! Cheeky girl :p

I have often found her inside the hutch playing with the rabbit food.I thought it was cute so far but worry a bit now that she may leave out the wrong combination of rabbits and I'll find fur flying:nerves1

Sabine wrote:
I have often found her inside the hutch playing with the rabbit food.I thought it was cute so far but worry a bit now that she may leave out the wrong combination of rabbits and I'll find fur flying:nerves1
My 5 year old cousin who was at are house one day was brilliant with my rabbits did everything I said, And kinda new what was right and what was wrong was real proud of her! Hopefully that doesn't happen, Mam used to let the wrong combinations out before, Thankfully she has stopped and only lets out the right pairs and singles! I really want a trio or quad But I know it will never happen LOL!

Latest posts

Back