Local person is selling 3 week old baby rabbits. Is this legal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, but I saw a craigslist ad this afternoon about a person selling 5 rabbits that are ONLY three weeks old, and I was so horrified that I sent her an email pleading that she please wait a couple of more weeks before selling the bunnies. They look very small.

I know for a fact that is too young, because they need their Mom until at least four - five weeks. To be safe I personally prefer six to eight weeks. One time when I was a rabbit breeder as a teen, my Dad took one of my 5 week old bunnies and gave them to a friend's daughter... then the rabbit passed shortly after and that infuriates me 13 years later.

Anyway, is this legal or acceptable? Would I be wrong if I called an animal welfare place or somewhere, if the ad is still up tomorrow? Just very worried.

You would think it would be illegal, I know that in some states you can't sell any animal under 8 weeks of age. I would just check around. I let my kits go at 7 weeks at least, but I do accept a deposit to reserve, so maybe they are doing that. It is very sad when people dont care for the well being of an animal.

Depends on the state, city, and/or county codes where this person resides, and it will depend on if they are actually selling them at that age and not just putting them on reserve. Babies separated from mom that early do usually end up dying as their digestive tracts are still developing and are very sensitive to stress and changes.

Are they just reserving them? When I got mine, they were up for sale, but further down said "ready to reserve" IF they are selling them underage, is there anyway to report them?

Latest posts

Back