Little bunny diarreah

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trini1000

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a problem with a little one (just over 3 weeks old). He is the runt of the litter and recently I noticed he appeared bloated and sluggish. I separated him and noticed him making a brownish diarreah. Anyone have an idea what could be causing it and more importantly, how to make him better?

So sorry to hear. That's not good, It could be a lot of things going wrong, plus being the runt of the litter,

I have never raise one that young so I have no idea what you should do to help. I really can't help. Hopefully someone can help you quickly. Bunnies this young need help fast.

K:(

Just an update----I was unable to visit a vet with the little one, but contacted him anyway. He recommended I use a few drops of vinegar in the bunny's water and keep it separated from the rest (in case its an infection and not just food related).

The little one began making regular pellets the next morning and seems more alert and happy. He still looks good today, and I'm now keeping a close eye on his siblings for signs of the runs.

Wow, that is a treatment I haven't heard of before. Please let us know how it goes for the little one.

Trini1000 wrote:
Just an update----I was unable to visit a vet with the little one, but contacted him anyway. He recommended I use a few drops of vinegar in the bunny's water and keep it separated from the rest (in case its an infection and not just food related).

The little one began making regular pellets the next morning and seems more alert and happy. He still looks good today, and I'm now keeping a close eye on his siblings for signs of the runs.

Was it just plain vinegar or apple cide vinegar (ACV). ACV is very good for their digestive system, plus cuts down on the odor of the urine.

So glad to hear the little one is doing much better. Smart to keep an eye out on his siblings.

Hoping they are all OK.

K:)

It was plain white vinegar (from molasses). The vet said any type would work just as well. He suggested that the bunnies may be over-eating (apparently a sudden increase/decrease in food would shock their system and cause mild diarrhoea) and were getting the runs because that.

I had increased their feed recently so it fit the bill as the cause of the distress. I added a little vinegar to everyone's water and there has been no sickness since. Also I reduced their feed to near the previous amount, as I plan to slowly increase their ration.

Trini1000 wrote:
It was plain white vinegar (from molasses). The vet said any type would work just as well. He suggested that the bunnies may be over-eating (apparently a sudden increase/decrease in food would shock their system and cause mild diarrhoea) and were getting the runs because that.

I had increased their feed recently so it fit the bill as the cause of the distress. I added a little vinegar to everyone's water and there has been no sickness since. Also I reduced their feed to near the previous amount, as I plan to slowly increase their ration.

So glad to hear all are doing better now.

K:)

Latest posts

Back