Little balls in rabbits stomach SOS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
so my 10 week old bunny has been having major constipation issues. She’s on motility meds, critical care, pineapple juice, and simethecone. At certain parts of the day she acts completely normally, eating hay running around and flopping. But other times (morning) she’s super lethargic and won’t really poop. The weird thing is whether or not she’s eating /pooping I can usually always feel these little balls in her stomach. The vet said she thought they were poops Peach was having a hard time passing. But it’s just so weird because when she starts pooping, they’re completely normal and big and round. Is it normal to be feeling these balls in my rabbits tummy? Is there anything else I can do to help her pass them? Please please help

Yes, normal. One of the difficulties when palpating for pregnancy is to not confuse poops with fetuses.

If I think something is going slow, I try to make the rabbit move, hopping around is the best to get things moving. Just don't overdo it.
There are times during the day when they just rest, and don't eat or poop much. Actually, I think it's most of the day.

Yes, normal. One of the difficulties when palpating for pregnancy is to not confuse poops with fetuses.

If I think something is going slow, I try to make the rabbit move, hopping around is the best to get things moving. Just don't overdo it.
There are times during the day when they just rest, and don't eat or poop much. Actually, I think it's most of the day.
Thank you so much for responding. I’m literally panicked to the point where I’m afraid to leave my apartment. The part that worries me is That I can constantly feel balls of poop in her tummy, and she switched between being happy and binkying and then later sitting in a corner hunched over. I’m so afraid because I love Peach so much and the only advice the vet gave me was to put her on motility meds which after 3 days don’t seem to be doing much

Oh and to clarify she’s 10 weeks old and hasn’t had contact with another bunny in 2 weeks I definitely don’t think she’s pregnant

One thing to consider if she seems to be repeatedly feeling well then soon after not feeling well, is that there can be a dietary link to the problem. I had a rabbit that kept repeatedly going into stasis soon after he would just seem to be getting better from the last bout with it. I started to notice that not long after feeding pellets he would start showing signs of discomfort with eye squinting, belly pressing, and repeatedly shifting positions from laying down to getting back up. I realized it was the pellets making him feel sick and as soon as I stopped feeding them to him he got better and never had stasis again.

There are other things that can cause stomach upset as well, such as a sensitivity to a particular veggie or to cruciferous veggies, too much sugars/carbs in the diet, sensitive to a particular hay, or hay or other food that might be contaminated or spoiled. So try to see if it is always happening after feeding a particular food or not.

I think Preitler didn't mean that your rabbit might be pregnant but just that you definitely can feel fecal balls in the digestive tract.

Just a side note, if the vet didn't also prescribe a pain med such as meloxicam(the 1.5mg/ml suspension dosed at 0.3-0.6mg/kg twice a day), that is normally prescribed in cases of GI stasis, and is something I would definitely request now if your rabbit is continuing to have issues, or at least for future occurrences.

One thing to consider if she seems to be repeatedly feeling well then soon after not feeling well, is that there can be a dietary link to the problem. I had a rabbit that kept repeatedly going into stasis soon after he would just seem to be getting better from the last bout with it. I started to notice that not long after feeding pellets he would start showing signs of discomfort with eye squinting, belly pressing, and repeatedly shifting positions from laying down to getting back up. I realized it was the pellets making him feel sick and as soon as I stopped feeding them to him he got better and never had stasis again.

There are other things that can cause stomach upset as well, such as a sensitivity to a particular veggie or to cruciferous veggies, too much sugars/carbs in the diet, sensitive to a particular hay, or hay or other food that might be contaminated or spoiled. So try to see if it is always happening after feeding a particular food or not.

I think Preitler didn't mean that your rabbit might be pregnant but just that you definitely can feel fecal balls in the digestive tract.

Just a side note, if the vet didn't also prescribe a pain med such as meloxicam(the 1.5mg/ml suspension dosed at 0.3-0.6mg/kg twice a day), that is normally prescribed in cases of GI stasis, and is something I would definitely request now if your rabbit is continuing to have issues, or at least for future occurrences.
She doesn’t eat veggies and she’s eating the same pellets she had at breeder. Today all afternoon for once she was acting normally but now she’s just sitting around barely moving and refusing to eat anything but pellets. I’m so upset because I should have called vet and moved up her recheck but she was doing so well I didn’t think I needed to. I don’t think it’s stasis though is the thing because for part of every day she acts completely normally, eating hay flopping etc. I’ve been giving her pineapple juice bc I have been finding hairs in her poops, but I don’t understand how this could only affect her for part of the day. I was literally praying that the motility medication would fix this but it hasn’t. I’m worried to the point that I literally can’t sleep and all I want in the world is for Peach to get better :(

It doesn't matter if it's the same pellets, or even if she's had them her entire life and been fine til now. Rabbit's can develop a dietary problem at any time, and suddenly become sensitive to a food. My rabbit had always been fine having pellets, then suddenly he got sick and could never have them again.

So it is a possibility that pellets could be the problem, or it could even just be the particular brand you are feeding. What brand of pellets do you feed, how much per day, and how much hay (and what type) does your rabbit eat per day (pile the size of her body, half the size, less, etc)? Also approximate body weight?

It doesn't matter if it's the same pellets, or even if she's had them her entire life and been fine til now. Rabbit's can develop a dietary problem at any time, and suddenly become sensitive to a food. My rabbit had always been fine having pellets, then suddenly he got sick and could never have them again.

So it is a possibility that pellets could be the problem, or it could even just be the particular brand you are feeding. What brand of pellets do you feed, how much per day, and how much hay (and what type) does your rabbit eat per day (pile the size of her body, half the size, less, etc)? Also approximate body weight?
I give her mosdesto mills organic rabbit pellets. The other day she had super runny poops, so I have literally cut down to about 15 pellets a day. The breeder says she gave way more than that—should I try giving more? I have also given about 15 ml of critical care and 3ml of pineapple juice ams .3ml if simethecone about every 5 hours. I’m going to try and get her into vet ASAP, calling soon as they open. I’ve been giving her pineapple bc I find hairs in her poops, should I stop giving that?

To give u a sense of her schedule today: 9-10 am no hay eating, generally lethargic but still wanting pellets. 12-3: COMPLETELY NORMAL,eating hay playing flopping. 4-9: hunched over, lethargic, not eating hay. I would normally just think that the hours she’s not eating she’s resting but during those times she sits hunched over so clearly something is wrong.

Thank you so much for your response. I feel horrible because I’m obviously stressing her out so much with all these syringes and massages but I don’t know what else to do.

I’m so terrified that the vet just won’t know what to do when I go in. She was so confident motility meds would help but they just haven’t.

Around 900 grams I believe but I could be wrong. I’d say about half her body size in hay a day

Around 900 grams I believe but I could be wrong. I’d say about half her body size in hay a day
For reference—when she does poop this is what they look like. Completely normal right ?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8
Amazing! I went to the bathroom for 3o seconds and my lovely rabbit peed on my iPad and probably ruined this $800 device. I don’t even care I just want her to get better

Latest posts

Back