Litterbox issues, enclosure solution?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
i’m thinking of restricting my bunnies’ run area again to see if it helps their litter box habits. Lately every time I clean their area, they make it messier! I sweep up their poop and put it back in the litter box but then they just poop MORE outside their box. It’s getting ridiculous. Thumpette is like litter box resistant; she has been since I got her. Pup will use his litter box if he’s by himself but as soon as another rabbit goes on the floor, his skills go out the window. Here’s their current setup
E330F78E-CBB2-4DA9-B83C-38337026E1C9.jpeg
here’s how im thinking of restricting it again
730814B2-614A-48A7-A25A-206FBAA3D913.jpeg
Aside from restricting their area, I’m not sure what else to do to encourage them to use their litter box.

I don't think that restricting them will do much. Their setup looks great, there shouldn't be any problems?
As long as all of their pee goes in the box, rabbits are considered litter trained. When your rabbits just leave a lot scattered on the floor, that's basically it, You can't do much beyond cleaning with poops.
My bonded pair is in the most minimally acceptable restricted space during the night. Yet i'll always have at least a dozen scattered poops by morning. They have one other favourite dropping spot, but since they don't pee there, i've not added another litterbox. When they get runtime, it seems as of they're indiscriminate about their droppings. Dutifully, they go to the box to pee and might eat&poop while at it, but going in just to poop; now that's a rare sight.
There aren't many rabbits who would be extremely diligent with their poop after all.

OH! Yeah I should've mentioned that Thumpette is peeing outside of the litter box! Not even a lot, like she's not leaving full bladder puddles, just these little quarter-sized spots in front of the litter box (but far enough that i know she isn't just missing over the edge.)

I think the setup is wonderful for non free run buns.

With my last girl i would grab a square of toilet paper to dot the pee up a d then throw it into her litterbox.
I then took a vinegar/water mix spray bottle and spray the area, then sponging it up with a wash cloth.
I changed her litter box every morning. She soon figured it out.

I think maybe taking away the rug that's right under the box might be helpful because some bunnies tend to like peeing on soft surfaces, maybe this will help? :)

I think maybe taking away the rug that's right under the box might be helpful because some bunnies tend to like peeing on soft surfaces, maybe this will help? :)
Yes, good idea but put non-slip flooring down, e.g. textured, non-slip lino.

Yeah I tried taking the rug away yesterday and it worked! But it worked because she and Pup never set foot on the wood floor. So the rug is going back today.

A non-slip floor would work. The wood is probably too slippery.

I was about to hijack the thread asking about letting our bun have access to our kitchen, which has a super glossy floor. I noticed the reflection in the image and couldn't imagine our guy getting around on that floor. We blocked off our kitchen after watching his first slippery venture in and carrying him out before he got hurt. Do they get around ok on your glossy floors? (oops, hijacked anyway, sorry).

I was about to hijack the thread asking about letting our bun have access to our kitchen, which has a super glossy floor. I noticed the reflection in the image and couldn't imagine our guy getting around on that floor. We blocked off our kitchen after watching his first slippery venture in and carrying him out before he got hurt. Do they get around ok on your glossy floors? (oops, hijacked anyway, sorry).
It's not a matter of whether they can get around. Hard, slippery floor is dangerous and can lead to injuries and long term health problems.

Latest posts

Back