Litterbox/Bedding Material Options

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac189

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what everyone else is using for litterbox substrate. I currently use the store-bought shredded paper either Oxbow or a similar brand, but I'd be interested in switching to something more cost-effective and perhaps odor absorbing. I know cedar is a no-go, but what about softwood blends, aspen, or litter pellets. Willa and Foxwell go through the occasional phase where digging in their litterbox is considered a fun past-time and I would love something easy to clean up when they do that.
So, what litter materials are safe, effective, and ideally cheap? I'm interested in experimenting a bit! Thank you!

Wood pellets as well, I second what already said here they are best option imo, definitely give it a go and you will love them. And they are compostable too.

You guys rock! I am so excited to use wood pellets!

Right now I use paper pellets but I’ve been contemplating on switching over to wood pellets myself!

Wood pellets here as well. We used the paper carefresh for the first 5 months or so we had ours and my only regret is not switching sooner.
Cheaper, absorb much better.

where do u guys get your wood pellets from? im looking to switch but cant find a place with free (or cheap) delivery. The nearest tractor supply is about 1/2 hr away and they charge $20 for delivery...

I get mine from Theisen's home farm and auto. They are actually horse pellets like the ones Mariam+Theo uses. They are super absorbent and inexpensive.

i dont have a Theisens where i live. do know of any big chain that sells it?

where do u guys get your wood pellets from? im looking to switch but cant find a place with free (or cheap) delivery. The nearest tractor supply is about 1/2 hr away and they charge $20 for delivery...
One Tractor Supply is 10 minutes away from my house and the other is right by my dad's work so getting pine pellets from there is easy, but I get your situation. I found some pine pellets on Amazon that might work: https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Pine-Natural-Cat-Litter/dp/B009LQA4XC/ref=sr_1_13?crid=QA7HFOKA0M5E&dchild=1&keywords=horse+bedding+pellets&qid=1588090769&sprefix=horse+bedding,aps,200&sr=8-13.

I use pine pellets, like many other people on here. They are super absorbent, completely safe for rabbits, super cheap, and smell great. It is $6 for a large bag and it lasts me a year with one rabbit (I clean his litter box about twice a week).
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005
I've read a lot that pine and cedar are both bad for rabbit respiratory systems. Any woods with a strong scent like those are not recommended, as something about the air or oils they emit causes respiratory problems.have you had any problems with this?

I finally ran out of the bulk fluffy paper I bought months ago and have finally started using pine pellets! Love the cost and can't wait to see how well it works (I was getting sick of the old stuff). Willa tried to eat it, but I think they're catching on!

I use yesterday's news paper pellets made for cats. I use the unscented ones. I empty the litter boxes into my garden to improve the clay soil and the paper pellets are good for that.

Latest posts

Back