Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I clean boxes (1x per week) I dump the old and then spray with a 50/50 viniger water mixture and let soak for at least 5 minutes. Then I scrub it with a paper towel until dry. I have had some boxes that were NASTY with set in stains. A few weeks worth of doing this 1x per week and the boxes are like new. I also use the vineger mixture to clean stains and disinfect the cages. It is dirt cheap, so I use a lot.

I used vinegar today. AMAZING! I scrubbed down the corners where they used to pee before I got a box with raised edges (they used to back up so far that their bum would be over the edge).

I have tried them all and the wood pellets have no smell when soiled, even a couple days of pee{I never leave it more than three days} They do not get soft like the paper litter, and when I dumped it the smell was unreal. That does not happen at all with the wood..it still smells fresh even when it's not. I second spraying with vinegar and water. If you use warm water all the better. If you want true disinfectant, use a quaternary disinfectant like F-10.

I'm doing an experiment now regarding the pee stains... just got the girls a new litter box and I sprayed it with "cage and toy shield" that I got for my gliders' stuff before filling it with litter... will see if it makes any difference :D

We use feline pine in the cat's litter box & in the rabbits litter box. Haven't had any problems & even when it's time to change the boxes I can't smell them. At our Walmart it's $2.97 for 7 lbs or $9 for 20 lbs. We always buy the 7 lb bag, it's a better value. I've checked amazon as well, Walmart still has the best price.

I've tried wood pellets as well, I wasn't super impressed with them, they were pretty dusty (my in laws gave us some to try before we bought a full sized bag). Too bad, they're super cheap!

And our litter pan is stained as well. I give it a decent soak every time I change it but it doesn't make a huge difference. Rabbit urine must be more acidic than cat urine, I've never had a problem with the cat box being stained.

Hmm..the wood pellets I use{aspen} have no dust at all.
Welcome!:welcome1

I'm currently using Somerset Pellets for wood burning stove, it's hard wood so far i like they way it holds up. and it was $3.89 for a 40lb bag. I may continue to use it =)

All they say on the bag is premium wood pellets. So I assume that is the brand? I'm not super familiar with wood pellets in general, we don't heat with them. I am interested in checking out the horse stall pellets though, we do have a Tractor Supply around here :)

And thank you, this site was recommended to me by my rabbit's breeder, it really is a wealth of information!

Clumping litter is dangerous for rabbits, especially if your bun would eat it, erinmoveit. It stinks, but It's true.

I use hardwood stove pellets. I dont think thet make them in soft woods. You can find them in tge winter at Walmart, or all year round at tractor supply. I've usedd pelleted horse bedding before and gotten the same good results, so whatever is available. Always pick Aspen over Pine horse bedding pellets if you can. Even though people say the harmful thing in pine is gone in pellet form, i don't quite trust it.

Actually wood pellets are available in hard and soft wood. I read somewhere on line that the hard wood was way better at absorbing and since I had the choice I chose hard. So far so good and believe me I am super picky with my litter and odors. This stuff works fantastic!!

I have horses as well and I use Equine Pine Pellets in my bunnies' litter boxes. I am very satisfied and it is very inexpensive in comparison to many other litter box options. The most I have paid for a 40 pound bag of the Equine Pellets is $6.99! I even use the Equine Pellets in my cat's litter box as well! It is good stuff and I am very happy with it! Good luck!

I really wish I could find a litter liner, but I'm too afraid of them eating plastic. The bottom of my litter pans are always stained from their pee.. no matter how much I soak and scrub, I can't get rid of it

When i clean out the litter i use warm water and vinegar. it removes all stains from the bottom and cleans everything. I let it sit for a little bit then scrub and it comes clean every time. Good Luck!

Just wanted to add that I'm a wood stove pellet user here and I love them. I get them for $4.99 for a 40lb bag.

I also use warm water and vinegar for the deep cleaning.

But I also should say the proactive type cleaning is better than anything, IMO. I scoop out the pee part of their litterboxes twice a day. It helps with anything soaking through to the litter box bottom and we never smell the buns. :)

Latest posts

Back