Litter Trays and Flooring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

__DD__

__DD__
Reaction score
Recently i've had to bring my rabbit indoors as his bonded partner died. He has adjusted well, and we've kept up his spirits but there are two issues; When using the litter tray to have a pee he keeps missing- ow the litter tray is not small by any means, but his but just hangs over ( He does have a big butt) and just pees out. I have flooring down, but it's like nursery flooring, so soft and it goes straight through that, and not to mention ( the second issue) he keeps chewing it.
He's only locked in his enclosure during the night time, and it's open all day He has constant amount of Hay, food, Toys etc so I don't know why he seems to be doing it. Texture, perhaps? IS there any flooring which is A.) Water proof and B. Not edible? And any litter trays a (Medium to large) Rabbit can use, without missing?

I put high, vertical plastic sheets at two sides of the litter box, on the inside, they really like to pee in corners or over the rim. There are special high sided boxes out there, but what I've seen they are too small in area. I use underbed storage bins from Ikea as literbox.

I use scraps of vinyl flooring underneith their area, can be really cheap when you ask at stores for it, and they don't chew it. Underneith that, some layers of cardboard to soak up whatever gets past that barrier.

For chewing, giving something that is more tasty might help - I always have tree branches (willow, ash, appletree,...) under my kitchen table to keep them occupied.

Do you have a photo of his current setup?

I'd agree that a high-sided box can make all the difference with those rabbits that like to lift their back end up high when they potty. You can even custom make one similar to the photo. (the opening can be made even larger if you like)

Rolled linoleum or vinyl can be a good waterproof flooring. The edges need to be covered though to prevent chewing.

Attachments

• rubbermaid.png
    rubbermaid.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 3
Aw man, I didn't think to make my own- what a wonderful idea. I have a few spare storage boxes too - although I hope his bitt will fit in. I will also try different things for him to chew on see if that cuts down on his matt nibbling. Thank you so much wonderful people. :)

Latest posts

Back