Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting a Flemish rabbit this week. She will be 8 weeks old. I read about how to train but I wondered how long is typical to train the rabbit. I could not find that information. I would like to have her outside of her kennel quite a bit of the day but I want to try to get her litter trained first. We have a smallish bunny house with litter area, water and food and will attach it to a large kennel that has 2 doors. I would like to just have it open during the day so she can come and go. I do not want to rush it but wondered about how long to expect working on litter training and accidents.

Hi, it depends on a rabbit, some are very good with their training and some are not. Also she is still 8 weeks so not spayed, you can train a baby with good results but when she hits puberty she might forget all her good habits unfortunately.
But some rabbits are excellent at toilet training even when they are intact, so you never know.
Fixed rabbits are much easier to train so if you plan on fixing her after 4-8 weeks after her surgery you can expect more sustainable toilet habits.

She is getting spayed April 30th. So hopefully it will not take too long to train her. I am home most of the time. 1 week we will be on vacation but a lady who has rabbits is going to stop by daily to play, feed and clean up after her.

Just don't stress about training her in the beginning. She may or may not take to training when she is that young. What's more important is keeping her from potty accidents outside her area. If she does get in that habit (pottying outside her area), it is much more difficult to train out. For this reason, it is better to limit her area in these early days.

After her spay, her movement needs to be limited for a bit anyway. But after that, rabbits really train themselves. If they have a properly set up litter box, they will naturally go in there. Here's some more on that.

She is getting spayed April 30th. So hopefully it will not take too long to train her. I am home most of the time. 1 week we will be on vacation but a lady who has rabbits is going to stop by daily to play, feed and clean up after her.
Great plan although we all staying home for the next few months I believe, no vacations so :rolleyes:

I got very lucky with my two, they took to litter training instantly- but some bunnies can take a very long time to learn. Be patient, and remember even the best house trained bunnies will still leave some stray bumbles! The link Blue eyes provided is great! Good luck 😃🐰💜

I got very lucky with my two, they took to litter training instantly- but some bunnies can take a very long time to learn. Be patient, and remember even the best house trained bunnies will still leave some stray bumbles! The link Blue eyes provided is great! Good luck 😃🐰💜
We already changed some things around in her area as it was not working out with going to the bathroom. I am really hopeful that I can get her potty trained. I am potty training 2 kids right now too:)

We already changed some things around in her area as it was not working out with going to the bathroom. I am really hopeful that I can get her potty trained. I am potty training 2 kids right now too:)

Don't try too hard -- not with the rabbit anyway;). Rabbits aren't like dogs in that dogs really do need to be trained about where to potty. With rabbits, it is simply about providing a conducive set-up. They train themselves. But when they are this young, they either will naturally go in the box or they won't. Don't be discouraged if she won't, because even those rabbits that do seem trained may forget that training as soon as their hormones kick in. Just be patient (and review the link for any further tips).

My female lionlop learned how to use her litter box within a few days of getting her (she was 8 weeks old). Set up her cage so that she will be in her litter box while eating hay. Any time she poops anywhere else, put it in the box! Good luck

Latest posts

Back