Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aylinox

Reaction score
I’m wanting to litter train my rabbits, but I heard that if they are not neutered/spayed then they cannot he litter trained and I was wondering if that’s true?

And what would be the best ways to train them, (after getting them fixed if needed)?

They can be litter trained even though they are not neutered or spayed. It will just be a lot more work.

Had a buck for 8 years that never was neutered, he always went to his litter box.

The same with my other bunnies, they where all litter trained before I fixed them. So they don’t get the habit to not use the litter box. Also I don’t have to think about after they are fixed to litter train them

Best way to train them it’s to let them be in a controlled space, where you can easily clean up after their accidents. The litter box should have hay in it and water bowl + food bowl nearby.

Then you only need to keep on cleaning after them, placing their droppings in the box.

You will need to use some fragrance that can hide a bunnies urine odor. Myself always use vinegar, because it’s something myself use for food.

Because bunnies will often go where it smell like litter box for them. It will also help using a bit of paper that wiped up their pee and place it in the litter box, so it will get the smell.

Sometimes you can also catch them before they start to pee, they will often lift their tail. If you manage to see some of their behaviors before peeing, you can pick them up and place them in the litter box. But this is really hard to see and notice.

Around 4 months and up they will start marking and lose their litter training (at least outside their cage). So you will have to restate the litter training again.

Hermelin explains it well. If you are a visual person, you can check out further tips and instructions on my page here. The way the litter box itself is set up and maintained is another critical component of successful litter training.

Latest posts

Back