Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattyBun

Reaction score
Hi there!
I just adopted a 3 year old dwarf bunny named Batty. Her foster family said that she was partially litter trained, but she has been struggling since coming into our home. She has a litter box in her cage but is very inconsistent about using it. We have hardwood flooring so we put a towel down at the base of her cage so she can hop down and get around without slipping on the floor. This seems to have confused her and she’s started using it as a litter box. Again, inconsistently as sometimes she will hop back into her cage to use the real litter box.

Does anyone have this same issue or have any suggestions about other options to put down on the floor instead of towels? I was thinking about foam, but wasn’t sure if this would just get chewed up and potentially harm Batty if it’s swallowed. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

How long have you had her? It's a good idea to confine a new rabbit to the cage (with litter box) for the first 48 hours (minimum). This helps them establish the cage and litter box as their own.

Here (click) are more tips for litter training. You can put an area rug down or doormat for outside the cage. As far as what she might chew -- that's just a matter of trial and error. Some bunnies won't bother what others will.

Ah! Wish I read this before I got Bobbi, because I am having a similar problem. She is super inconsistent.

Latest posts

Back