Litter Training???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneBadBunny!!!

Reaction score
I've had Peter for about 15 mos. now and he is about 6 yrs. old. He currently lives outside in a hutch. He is out there spring - fall. He comes inside my bedroom for the winter. Last winter he was litter trained for about a month. He had a small corner box that he peed and pood in, with the occasional poo "accidents". One day he decided that was no fun and he began pooing everywhere. He always pees in the litter box but poos everywhere.:nope:That is simply unexceptable. Over the past few months we have become really bonded. He is my best buddy and I even enoy his company more that of my dog. We spend about three hours together throughout the day. I wish it could be more but with the heat + bugs + lighting his time out of the cage is limited.:(I really wish that he could just be loose in my bedroom 24/7.

How do I go about litter training him? Is he too old to learn? Would neutering him help? How risky is that? and any other tips you may have.

Thanks soo much!!!

Sam and Peter :apollo:

Neutering would definitely help. At his age, I'd say he'd have to have a full checkup and preblood panel done before the surgery to make sure he's healthy enough for the procedure.

You have a litter box, but he's not trained? Am I reading this right?

How oftern do you clean out his box? Maybe he's getting picky about when it's cleaned and is pooing out of it for that reason? If not, I would just scoop as many poos up as you can and put them in his box. You'll probably never have the perfect rabbit that never poos out of their box, mine aren't that good;). I think you'll always have stray poos scattered about.

Could you build a pen in your yard so that he can have more out time, while he's supervised by you? That would be fun for him. I built mine one, it cost $40 and is about 12 feet on all sides.

Neutering would definitly help.

some poops are to be expect out of the box but alover is a bit odd. What you should do is find a spot in your room which he goings in most often and put a box there. You may end up with like 7 boxes at once. But trust me it helps. Slowly reduce the litter boxs untill you have a couple left. Pick up any stray poos and put them into the litter box. When we were training our buns we had to reduce there space. Eventual after we were able to remove 1 of the 5 litter boxes we let them roam free.

Latest posts

Back