Litter training young rabbit :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just need some advice about my DM lionhead bunny becoming litter trained. She’s 16 weeks old now... we got her when she was 12 weeks so had her for about a month ☺

I’ve watched some YouTube videos to try and get me on the right track... so every time she poos/pees I am placing her in her litter tray and praising her vocally and through stroking. She stays in her hutch (inside) during the day while I’m at work etc but free roams in the living room (just in this room at the moment due to the poo she leaves everywhere!😂)

is there anything else I should be doing please?

When she’s in her hutch she seems pretty good with using her litter tray. It’s in the corner with her food bowl inside & full of her tomothy hay - her hay rack is also hanging to the side of it. Her hutch floor is never really busy of poops, but I still sweep it out everyday to keep it fresh for her ☺

can I have some help and advice please!

here’s a cute picture of her this evening 😍0684D369-34C1-4CE3-B5A0-9F9213F6F443.jpeg

Could I see a picture of her litterbox? Ideally a cat sized litterbox is best. Be sure to pick up stray poops and place them in the litterbox. If she pees in the wrong place, wipe it with a paper towel and place the soiled paper towel in the litterbox. Then clean the area with a water and vinegar solution. Once she’s reach maturity at about 5 months, she might ignore all her litter training habits. If so, spaying will help as it keep the hormones down and gives them less of a reason to mark their territory.

I too am in the process of litter training.. What i did was put a cat litter box in the corner where she goes potty. I put some bedding and hay in the box and some of her droppings as well. I didnt even have to correct anything after the first night. No accidents outside of the box after i put her in it and she saw her droppings in there. Its almost like she heard me say "now this is where you poopies baby!" 😅

I too am in the process of litter training.. What i did was put a cat litter box in the corner where she goes potty. I put some bedding and hay in the box and some of her droppings as well. I didnt even have to correct anything after the first night. No accidents outside of the box after i put her in it and she saw her droppings in there. Its almost like she heard me say "now this is where you poopies baby!" 😅
That is how it was with Theo. He was litter trained in one day easily, even though it was a tiny litter box! He is amazing at getting everything in one pile.

That is how it was with Theo. He was litter trained in one day easily, even though it was a tiny litter box! He is amazing at getting everything in one pile.

It had never worked on any of my other buns so i would just clean there hutch daily.. Oof lots of work there.. It just seemed to easy with this one. Maybe i just got luck with her?!😁

Could I see a picture of her litterbox? Ideally a cat sized litterbox is best. Be sure to pick up stray poops and place them in the litterbox. If she pees in the wrong place, wipe it with a paper towel and place the soiled paper towel in the litterbox. Then clean the area with a water and vinegar solution. Once she’s reach maturity at about 5 months, she might ignore all her litter training habits. If so, spaying will help as it keep the hormones down and gives them less of a reason to mark their territory.

Thank you so much! Of course I will upload a picture of the litter tray in the morning !

I completely agree with Apollo's Slave, but I want to add that the food bowl should not be in the litter box, only hay. Here is a link on litter training with the proper set up: Litter Training.

ah I didn’t know this thank you! I read across forums they tend to poop where they eat so assumed it would be best to place the bowl in the far corner of her tray so she has to enter it to eat. Where would you suggest I put it instead please?

thanks for your help!

I would put the bowl by her water bowl/water bottle. They normally only poop while eating hay not pellets.

wow what a dream!🤣 I think she’s gonna kick up a lot more fuss than yours lol! You’ve got lucky! Well done x

Latest posts

Back