Litter training Soon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
My rabbit is 3 months old and unspayed. I know that once you buy a rabbit you should be prepared but the idiot me is unprepared. I ordered wood pellets and hay but since the pandemic... My orders are cancelled (I can buy the litter box here at my hometown).

I'm Kinda scared that she won't be litter trained because I searched on Google that unspayed rabbits are difficult to litter train. My house has two floors but not that large. But can you all please give me an advive?

I know that a lot of you will get mad at me for being an unrespinsible rabbit parent.

Stuff happens and sometimes improvisation is needed! Chances are that a store carrying a litterbox may also have hay, so be sure to check. Hay is important, so if you can't find it there call around to other stores and even farmers who can maybe sell you some. Same goes for bedding, although a shredded newspaper or a phonebook. Litterbox training an unspayed doe is more challenging than a spayed doe, but certainly easier than an unaltered male. Just be consistent. Keep her area small and if she pees or poops, put it in the litterbox. They often like to use the bathroom in corners so that's a good place to put the box. Most rabbits like to much hay while defecating, so be sure to put hay in about half of the box. Let us know if you have any questions and good luck!

Stuff happens and sometimes improvisation is needed! Chances are that a store carrying a litterbox may also have hay, so be sure to check. Hay is important, so if you can't find it there call around to other stores and even farmers who can maybe sell you some. Same goes for bedding, although a shredded newspaper or a phonebook. Litterbox training an unspayed doe is more challenging than a spayed doe, but certainly easier than an unaltered male. Just be consistent. Keep her area small and if she pees or poops, put it in the litterbox. They often like to use the bathroom in corners so that's a good place to put the box. Most rabbits like to much hay while defecating, so be sure to put hay in about half of the box. Let us know if you have any questions and good luck!
Thank you for replying and the luck. I also forgot to tell that she has not eaten any hay when I got her, well.... In the petshop I saw that the rabbits have a lot of pellets in their bowl and I don't even know if they were tl given any vegetables or other leafy greens at at all. So before I'll litter train her I should feed her hay so she could get used to it first. Again, thank you very much I really appreciate it. 🤗

I litter trained Theo in one day, and he wasn't even neutered. I guess I got lucky. It was very easy because he has always been a huge hay eater. I just followed this link and it worked perfectly!

The house I live in is two floors but not that large.

If I place 1 litter box upstairs and 1 downstairs can she still recognize it?

The house I live in is two floors but not that large.

If I place 1 litter box upstairs and 1 downstairs can she still recognize it?

I probably wouldn't start with that big of an area, but once she's consistent that should be perfectly fine!

My rabbit is 3 months old and unspayed. I know that once you buy a rabbit you should be prepared but the idiot me is unprepared. I ordered wood pellets and hay but since the pandemic... My orders are cancelled (I can buy the litter box here at my hometown).

I'm Kinda scared that she won't be litter trained because I searched on Google that unspayed rabbits are difficult to litter train. My house has two floors but not that large. But can you all please give me an advive?

I know that a lot of you will get mad at me for being an unrespinsible rabbit parent.

Hi there, I’m actually a new bunny owner myself and we are working on potty training too. I found a litter box and Timothy hay at Walmart and I also found yesterday’s news (litter) online from Petsmart.com and it shipped in 4 days. I’m here in Tennessee. So I’m not sure what stores you have, so hopefully my response is helpful. Good luck Bunny Mama ☺️

You can try calling around at stores where you live:)
Sorry... But the place I live in has no materials for rabbits, the place I live in only focuses on dogs and cats. There are no pet stores even the vet... They only focus on cats and dogs. There is a farm at the place I live but they don't sell hay.

Sorry... But the place I live in has no materials for rabbits, the place I live in only focuses on dogs and cats. There are no pet stores even the vet... They only focus on cats and dogs. There is a farm at the place I live but they don't sell hay.
You could try gathering grass for hay (be sure it's not sprayed with chemicals) in the meantime and maybe even use that for a litter substrate until you come up with something better. Sometimes wood or paper cat litter then be found, just be sure not to use clay or gravel (it's hard on their respiratory system) Good luck! What's your bunny's name? :)

Thank you for replying (her name is caramel because of her fur). The province I live in is poor so that's explains why we don't have a pet store, vet that knows rabbit health and other equipments that rabbits can use. The litter that our mall sells (which is the only mall we have I think...) sells cat litter but all of those are unsafe for rabbits. But I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much for replying. 😁

Latest posts

Back