Litter training Bella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joico40

Reaction score
So my new bun who is starting to bond with us quite well, is also doing ok with litter training,so I thought....has started peeing when she is out and about. She only has the run of one room currently.....She doesn't go back to her litter box to pee when she has too... any advice???

How old is she, how long have you had her, and is she spayed yet? When first bringing her home did you keep her confined in a smaller area to make sure her litter habits were established, before gradually expanding her space to the whole room? Any new pets or other changes occur before the litter habits changed?

Had her for a little over a month, she wouldn't come out of her enclosure for about 2 weeks ... she had an extended space of 2ft x 4 ft for two weeks..... peed once in the extended space... has run of whole room now12x12 but doesn't choose to run around a lot and did it again this week. She 15 weeks old...

Had her for a little over a month, she wouldn't come out of her enclosure for about 2 weeks ... she had an extended space of 2ft x 4 ft for two weeks..... peed once in the extended space... has run of whole room now12x12 but doesn't choose to run around a lot and did it again this week. She 15 weeks old...
What kind of set up do you have for her litter box?
large litter box food and water bowl at one end hay hanging over the side... we actually made a screen out of 1/2 inch by 1 inch coated wire where bunnie droppings go into the bottom of the pan as well as her pee... there is also some hay on top of the wire ... she uses it all the time, likes to lay there as well Some times which I find interesting....my other rabbit who is in another part of the house has the same set up... Bella is not spayed yet so they are separated opposite ends of the house

large litter box food and water bowl at one end hay hanging over the side... we actually made a screen out of 1/2 inch by 1 inch coated wire where bunnie droppings go into the bottom of the pan as well as her pee... there is also some hay on top of the wire ... she uses it all the time, likes to lay there as well Some times which I find interesting....my other rabbit who is in another part of the house has the same set up... Bella is not spayed yet so they are separated opposite ends of the house
Her rabbit "house" is 36x 48 She has a bed in there it is left open most of the time and she has an extended 2x4 foot play yard to go out into... when we are in the house in the morning and evening so has free reign of the room

The problem you're getting into now is your bun is now a teenage bun and hormones are coming in. This can prompt territorial marking. If it's just happening occasionally, she may just be distracted from remembering where the litter box is because of her young age. If so, adding more litter boxes around the room could help fix the problem.

If she's just peeing in certain spots, you can try putting another litter box there to see if that clears up the problem. Otherwise you may just need to restrict her area to her smaller play yard and not allow free roam unless strictly supervised where you can scoot her to the litter box before a pee accident, or not allow free roam until spayed. There are also some tips for litter training, in the link below.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

The problem you're getting into now is your bun is now a teenage bun and hormones are coming in. This can prompt territorial marking. If it's just happening occasionally, she may just be distracted from remembering where the litter box is because of her young age. If so, adding more litter boxes around the room could help fix the problem.

If she's just peeing in certain spots, you can try putting another litter box there to see if that clears up the problem. Otherwise you may just need to restrict her area to her smaller play yard and not allow free roam unless strictly supervised where you can scoot her to the litter box before a pee accident, or not allow free roam until spayed. There are also some tips for litter training, in the link below.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Thanks for the input... it's been in the same spot... right outside her litter box in her house... will try putting another box in that spot

Latest posts

Back