Litter training after neuter.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madelyn L.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My bun got neutered 3 weeks ago and I want to start perfecting his litter habits soon. For the first few days after the surgery, his litter box use was perfect, but now it’s back to poop all in his pen again. Thankfully, he has completely cut out pooping/peeing all around my room, which I am VERY thankful for. Any tips on how to train him to only go in his litter box would be appreciated! Below is the current setup of his litter box. F83F2729-9AAF-4598-9835-69B5906AD0DB.jpeg

Hi, if it is only 3 weeks after neutering he needs more time to calm down, he still can show hormonal signs up to 2 months after neutering, sometimes even longer. In my experience even unneutered boys are easily trained to use toilet box and some are just perfect with that, that is of course if there's no other rabbit around.

Your litter box looks fine but I use wood pellets and I think there's nothing better than them as far as I know. We would need to see his full setup as well, because it is important what other areas he can use. The best way to toilet train would be to limit his space for a few weeks or months until using his toilet properly will become a habit, then you can expand his territory gradually, but if you just let him free roam he can get confused and whole training can be more difficult.

It look like his litter box is set up fine:) you have it so he eats in there which can really help with litter training👍 He is such a cute boy! I breed bunnies so I have never neutered one of my bucks before. My buck who is most tidy doesn’t like to eat on his litter box he likes eating exact opposite of it! It’s like he doesn’t want his food dirty😂 every bunny is different:) good luck!!!

When Oliver got neutered he already had pretty good litter habits however after his neuter he pooped all over his area. He was also bonded with his bunwife Fiona so I'm not sure if she had something to do with his habits changing. That being said whenever he had a pee accident I would soak it up with a papertowel and place that in his litterbox along with any poops he sprinkled about. I just made sure to tidy his area as often as I could which was twice a day when I was working. It took a few weeks but he went back to having good litter habits. Every now and then there's a poop-fest on his rug but he and Fiona are 99% perfect with the litterbox. We also switched to Okocat wood litter instead of the pellets which have worked better for us. I also have a larger litterbox/feeder which gives them more room
IMG_5508.jpg

Latest posts

Back