Litter train elderly rabbit? šŸ‡

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looie_pooie

Reaction score
My rabbit is about 7-10 years old. He is mostly litter trained, but still decides to poop everywhere. Is there a way to get him to poop only in the litter box?
(I cleanse the litter box about an hour ago. This is his enclosure after a day.) BTW he is Getting bigger litter box in a few days, as well as a cardboard cat scratcher. The door in his enclosure is open whenever Iā€™m home, so he can come out if he wants to. Heā€™s is olny in there at night, and when Iā€™m not home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 12
I believe you said in another post that this is a new cage/enclosure for him? That makes all the difference. It is usual for a rabbit to mark territory this way when put in a new area. Give him time. It may get better.

I think you also mentioned that you've been putting pee pads under the fleece. That isn't necessary and, as you've seen (if I recall correctly), risks him chewing the pads.

It appears you have lots of food pellets in there. Does he normally get greens to eat? (If he wasn't fed them by the prior owner, that's ok. You can always introduce him to greens very, very slowly.) A normal diet would include hay, daily greens, and only about 1/4 cup of pellets per day.

A larger litter box would be a good idea too.

Do you have other pets in your home?

Our sanctuary crew, no one is bonded at this time, will include meticulous litter box users, and a few new "kids" who mark territory like the dog who walks along a sidewalk, sniffs a tree, and lifts a leg to urinate. Marking territory.

Suggestions: A larger hidebox along that back wall? So glad he can come out while you are home.

This is fabulous that you are patient and decided to welcome an elder bun into your home and life, perhaps being unwanted by a previous owner.

Latest posts

Back