Litter of 7 born today....Need help & advise please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We rehomed 2 rabbits 10 days ago. They are 11 month old miniature lops brother and sister and not neutered so our plan was to take them on and have them spayed and neutered and then gradually bond them.

However we soon realised the doe was pregnant. I asked the woman who we got them from about it and she'd said she thought their sex was oposite so had "bonded" the doe which she thought was a buck with their 4 year old netherland dwarf.

She gave birth today to 7 beautiful kits all healthy and doing well so far. We didnt get a nesting box in with her quick enough as she was further along in her pregnancy than we thought so instead she burrowed and made a nest in her cage and pulled out a lot of fur to line it. The birth I witnessed which was straight forward and quick and she cleaned them all up & has eaten and drank plenty since. I know its normal for them to leave their babies alone and feed once maybe twice in a 24hr period and usually at night so have made sure shes got plenty to eat and fresh water and have left the babies who are all snuggled together in a little group cocooned by the hay straw and fur.
Is this enough warmth for them? Bare in mind that they are indoors not outdoors.

They feel warm to touch and are quite but moving fine and all just cuddled up quietly.
They're all pink & wrinkly and feel warm to touch however naturally being new to all this I'm worried going to bed that they wont survive the night and they wont be warm enough etc.

Basically do I need to do anything more or put anything in with them to keep them warmer or should I leave them to it as they all appear to be fine?

Sorry for the long post and questions but I just want the best for the babies and mummy bunny.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated xx

Attachments

• 20190513_193706.jpg
    20190513_193706.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
They look good and I think they warm enough with all the fur and hay. You can move them into a box with all the hay and fur, I'd put some wood pellets and shredded paper underneath to absorb the moisture as they pee, but maybe they will be alright where they are if your doe is comfortable feeding them there. Box would keep them all in same place when they will start crawling.
Congratulations!

No advice, sorry. But congrats! Can't wait to see them growing up.

The babies should be able to stay warm as long as they are covered up, also they are inside so it will be even safer. You can check their tummies tomorrow to see if they are full, baby bunnies are the cutest congratulations!

Latest posts

Back