Litter/feeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britexpat

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I’m a recent bunny mum. I adopted a 2 year old female from a rescue and she came fully litter trained. It was my understanding that to continue her excellent bathroom habits we should use a litter box for litter and hay so she eats the hay in her litter box. Is this correct or should I get a feeding box/bag to hang above her litter box so she can eat fresh hay from there and still poop in her tray. I did get one that perhaps isn’t ideal, slats aren’t very wide, so she’s continued to eat from her litter box. I should add that I change her litter box every day. It is lined with newspaper, then recycled paper pellets and then hay. Thank you

Sounds like you are doing things right! Any large plastic container can serve as a litter pan. ( I use a plastic storage tote from WalMart.)

Recycled paper pellets work fairly well for odor control (newspaper isn't necessary but no harm in using it).

And topping with hay is just fine. It's ok to hang a hay rack/bag above, but it isn't necessary. Eating the hay that is on top of the litter is easier for them to access-- so that is good!

Wood pellets will last longer and cost less than the paper pellets. Then you wouldn't need to empty the pan so often. Just top it with hay a couple times per day.

Sounds like your litter set up is quite good! Newspaper isn’t very good at Odor control so you would find yourself having to clean it all the time!

I use wood pelleted litter and change my rabbits litterbox every 3-5 days but there are other litters that are good!

I used to use a hay rack above my rabbits litterbox but when my rabbit got frustrated that he couldn’t get the hay he wanted out, he’d throw it all over the floor and make a ton of mess so I just put in his litterbox.

Latest posts

Back