Litter brands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aph10

Reaction score
I use mostly shredded newspaper under yesterday’s news litter. But that litter is expensive and is usually out of stock everywhere. Do you have recommendations for a different paper pellet brand?

Hay. That's all I use. They have boxes with hay in them they eat, poop and pee to their hearts' content! The also get hay in suspended boxes, so they always have something clean to eat, but that's mostly for me... rabbits naturally pee and poop where they eat.

I know several people like that, come to think of it...

I use safe wood stove pellets for my rabbits they are inexpensive and come in large quantities. They are extremely absorbent as well.

I can’t think of any paper litters that work well, in my opinion they don’t absorb enough of the rabbit pee and it starts to stink even the first use.

I don't like paper litters either. If you can use it, wood pellet litter is better at odor control and absorption. And is usually a lot cheaper. Cheapest is buying it as stove pellets(no additives), though might not be available until colder weather. Next cheapest is at farm stores as equine pellet bedding. Then cat wood pellet litter at petstores.

I have 3 rabbits and so 3 boxes. I put just a couple cups of litter on top of newspaper shred and then change it every 1-2 days. I can do wood cus one loves to eat her litter and the

I used to use the Yesterday's News pelleted litter. The wood pellets look identical to the YN, but actually work a bit better for odor. They also last longer since they expand considerably more than the YN.

A bag of wood pellets (like those used for wood pellet stoves -- probably available year-round in MN) are about $5-$7 for a 40lb bag!! Super cheap!!!

With 1 rabbit, this set-up can easily last a week before there is any odor. (For 2 rabbits sharing a box, clean out is twice per week.)

Just remember to use less of the wood pellets because they expand more.

1625174962962.png

Latest posts

Back