litter boxes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
I have started putting shredded paper in their litterboxes. but they keep pulling it all out. I have tried covering it with newspaper but they have a field day with that.

Any suggestions as to how I can keep them form doing that?:bunnydance:

Mine love to play with paper! I put newspaper in boxes for them to play with and they'll work at it for hours!

Try using a wood pellet litter. It's very absorbent and not as much fun to play with so it'll get left in the litterbox more.

I agree with naturestee. They would be a lot less likely to play with wood pellet litter, such as woody pet, than they would with newspaper. You can also use a litter box with higher sides to keep more of the litter in the box even if they are digging/playing with it.

I have tried wood pellets, carefresh and the bunnies drive me crazy with all of them!! They tend to kick them out of the boxes. I clean their hutch completely and within about 2 hrs it is a state. I have a phonebook in the hutch which they love to tear apart.

Honestly, I think people would thing I dont clean their hutch!!!:cool:

I use yesterdays new for litter. Seems to hold the smell down i havent found any litter that stays in the box maybe unless you use a cats box I am using one and i still find when the bun jumps out of his box it does go all over

i use her timothy hay for her litter box, and from what i read, rabbits are able to tell which hay they've soiled and which ones they haven't so they sit, poop/pee, and munch on the good hay. although i would make sure there's always fresh hay in there and to clean it out often

id go get a higher litter box. that maybe is at leat 4 to 5 inches high. thats what i use for one of my bunnies who kicks his litter out. and woody pet does work great.

and the timothy idea would work fine too. i would do that myself if i could find any other hay my bunnies like besides oxbow. oxbow hay as a litter gets waaaayyy waaayyy too exspensive

So I should get a litterbox that is higher? Will they get that its a litterbox?( sounds stupid I know)

Will do. I have tried putting a bit of hay in a small seperate container which is placed in the litterbox, but the two of them seem to think its a game and tip all the hay out into the hutch!!!

I use a dishpan for a litter box (about 4 inches tall). They should be fine with it as long as they don't have any joint conditions that prevent them from clearing the lip.

Somewhere there's a thread on this (famous last words, jim! :?).

Binkie was terrible when it came to the same issue. Sometimes I would be on me hands and knees cleaning up the floor below the table her cage was on, and suddenly I would get showered with a pan full of dirty litter:X
She would empty it out, poop & pee in it, and then lay in it, too. YUCK!!!!! Her feet were orange instaed of white and she stunk ALL of the time. I even tried a deeper pan and she figure out that she needed more loft!!

Here's what I made.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes!!!!...... that's Woody Pet Litter ;)

It a small kitty litter pan (12") and the top keeps the grate from coming out.

The plastic grate is similar to the stuff they use for florestnt lights and can be found in most home improvement store like Home Depot, Lowes, etc (Thanks for the ID on the grating Laura!!)

~Jim

And that should stop them from knocking everything out? do they not try and tip it over then? Just trying to make sure I cover all the bases!!

I think they try and drive me crazy on purpose:colors::colors:

Latest posts

Back