Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
How do you guys set up your litter box?i saw a video and they said i can put a pee pad and hay over it and that’s it, and I’ve been doing that and it works fine. Today i saw a video of someone cleaning the litter box, it was the same, pee pad and hay, but the hay was on one side and the pee and poop was on the other side. When i put hay in her litter box i put it on one side but as soon as she gets inside the food gets everywhere, the poop is mixed with the pee and the hay, sometimes she sits on the right side, sometimes she sits on the left side, sometimes she sits in the middle, she digs in her hey/poop mixture and eats what she wants and leaves the rest like the small pieces and the brown ones. I’ve always thought that this was normal and all rabbits would eat like that until i saw the video today. Is there anything i can do to fix this or is it okay?

It seems normal to me. My rabbit likes to first eat on one side and then on the other because he digs they hay to the other side. I feel like some rabbits get a little crazy with their litter box! 😂 Overall wouldn't be worried. The leftovers is probably they hay she peed on and most rabbits don't like the small hay pieces. Rabbits won't eat hay they peed on.

Some rabbits are just more meticulous than others. ;) One reason I'm not a fan of a number of videos found online is that they don't seem to recognize how greatly different each rabbit can be -- regardless of the topic. People will see a specific pet (doesn't even have to be a rabbit) doing something and the viewer naturally assumes this is "typical" behavior - whether it is or not. (ok... rant over)

The pee pads and hay won't do anything for odor control. This is why many like to use wood pellets instead. The pellets will absorb the odor and allow one to go much longer between cleaning. Here are some photos:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Some rabbits are just more meticulous than others. ;) One reason I'm not a fan of a number of videos found online is that they don't seem to recognize how greatly different each rabbit can be -- regardless of the topic. People will see a specific pet (doesn't even have to be a rabbit) doing something and the viewer naturally assumes this is "typical" behavior - whether it is or not. (ok... rant over)

The pee pads and hay won't do anything for odor control. This is why many like to use wood pellets instead. The pellets will absorb the odor and allow one to go much longer between cleaning. Here are some photos:
I didn’t put anything because I thought that she might eat it.. she eats everything, even slippers, I thought that she is just biting it but there was missing pieces. And when i first got her I didn’t know much and the pet shop told me to get wood shavings and she ate them too.I’m not really bothered with the odor unless I’m cleaning so it’s fine♥️ Thank you

Hello, about the wood pellets.. we don’t have them here, I looked for it everywhere, I only found plant fiber pellets, is it safe to use them?
9A008210-DA88-44AA-9F01-5FB513A8642C.jpeg

I use pee pads and a layer of wood pellets on one side of the box and then a thick layer of hay on top of everything. Like you, I also find that he pees and poops all over the box anyways, so I just make sure I add a layer of new hay in the morning and I clean the box every night. I know some rabbits chew and eat pee pads, luckily mine hasn't chewed it at all but I think I will switch to newspaper instead just to be safe.

Hello, about the wood pellets.. we don’t have them here, I looked for it everywhere, I only found plant fiber pellets, is it safe to use them?
They look like they would be a fine alternative. I'd check to see that she doesn't eat them nonetheless. She may try nibbling at first and then stop, so keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back