Litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaya8a

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a female Holland lop who will be 4 months this month and she has been perfectly litter trained since about 12 weeks old.she has always been free roamed and no issues. All of a sudden yesterday and today she has been urinating and pooping in places she NEVER usually poops and urinates. This morning she went on my couch and bathroom floor. Any idea why this would be happening? Nothing in her environment has changed. She has an appointment to be spayed next month (at 5 months) but I’m trying to figure out what is going on & why she she could all of a sudden be going outside her litter box. I would appreciate any input please!

It sounds like normative, hormonal behavior. A rabbit's behavior can and will most likely change a lot as hormones begin influencing them more and more during puberty. Do your best to manage it, but it should be reduced after her spay. You may need to go through the motions of litter training, as spaying is not a "magical fix". Litterbox Training Archives | BinkyBunny

Re: your couch specifically, couches, chairs, and beds are all very common places rabbits really enjoy going on, regardless of fixed/trained status. They are comfy, are typically against walls/have a backing, and have a lot of nice human smells to mark over.

It sounds like normative, hormonal behavior. A rabbit's behavior can and will most likely change a lot as hormones begin influencing them more and more during puberty. Do your best to manage it, but it should be reduced after her spay. You may need to go through the motions of litter training, as spaying is not a "magical fix". Litterbox Training Archives | BinkyBunny

Re: your couch specifically, couches, chairs, and beds are all very common places rabbits really enjoy going on, regardless of fixed/trained status. They are comfy, are typically against walls/have a backing, and have a lot of nice human smells to mark over.
She was very good with her litter box prior to these two days that’s why I am thinking it’s hormonal like you mention. Do you think I should reduce her space back down until she has been spayed? And not let her free roam. I’m just worried she will continue to do it and her spay isn’t for a while.

That's dependent on your willingness to clean up after her. Regardless, you want to make sure she has enough time out for exercise and space for enrichment until she is spayed.

That's dependent on your willingness to clean up after her. Regardless, you want to make sure she has enough time out for exercise and space for enrichment until she is spayed.
Yes, that’s why I kind of feel bad reducing her space back down, because she has always been free roam since about 11/12 weeks old without any issues until now at 4 months old. I have no issues with cleaning up after her I’m just concerned with the carpeted areas of my home. It will be harder to figure out where she is urinating. The poops are easy to spot and clean up but the urine would be harder. I’m conflicted with what to do….

Just make sure the floor she's on is waterproof. See if you can free roam her in a bathroom, or another part of your house that doesn't have carpet and then it'll make the area easier to clean. As long as she has enough space to roam with enough enrichment and gets some playtime each day, downsizing her until her spay won't hurt.

^agreed! You don't want her to get in the habit of peeing on carpet! Not only is that a difficult habit to break, but the urine smell will only encourage her to keep going there again and again.

Keeping her on wipeable surfaces is a good idea even if it reduces her exercise space. The sooner her spay, the better. Otherwise hormonal behaviors can become permanently ingrained.

Just make sure the floor she's on is waterproof. See if you can free roam her in a bathroom, or another part of your house that doesn't have carpet and then it'll make the area easier to clean. As long as she has enough space to roam with enough enrichment and gets some playtime each day, downsizing her until her spay won't hurt.
Yeah I’m going to have to keep her in one area only until her spay and then hopefully afterwards she can pick up her good litter habits again.
^agreed! You don't want her to get in the habit of peeing on carpet! Not only is that a difficult habit to break, but the urine smell will only encourage her to keep going there again and again.

Keeping her on wipeable surfaces is a good idea even if it reduces her exercise space. The sooner her spay, the better. Otherwise hormonal behaviors can become permanently ingrained.
yes, I don’t want her to get used to thinking peeing in the carpet is ok. I don’t mind the poops which are easier to pick up but the Urine is a whole different story! I wish the vet I’m taking her to would do it sooner but they insist that it’s best to wait until closer to 6 months? This is my first rabbit so I’m not sure if other vets do it sooner?

Yeah I’m going to have to keep her in one area only until her spay and then hopefully afterwards she can pick up her good litter habits again.

yes, I don’t want her to get used to thinking peeing in the carpet is ok. I don’t mind the poops which are easier to pick up but the Urine is a whole different story! I wish the vet I’m taking her to would do it sooner but they insist that it’s best to wait until closer to 6 months? This is my first rabbit so I’m not sure if other vets do it sooner?
I'm going through the same thing. Mine is 5 1/2 months, but as of now, I have decided against neutering him. But I may change my mind 😁

I'm going through the same thing. Mine is 5 1/2 months, but as of now, I have decided against neutering him. But I may change my mind 😁
How are you keeping him from peeing everywhere? Do you just keep him in a certain area? Or just clean up after him? I feel like we are their slaves haha and they know it. They are worth it though.

Latest posts

Back