litter box troubles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So some of you may know that back in october i got a new rabbit, Salem, and he has been bonded to my other bunny hermione. When I first got Salem i noticed he was peeing in the carrier I set in his playpen so i removed the carrier so he would have more space and use the litter box more. He stopped peeing in there after that. Once i started bonding him to Hermione they of course peed on the ground because it was the bonding process and they didn't have access to litter boxes most of the time. He did pretty well after that, i noticed he does poop outside the litter box but I know most buns do that. Lately in the past couple weeks his pooping outside the litter box has gotten worse and he has also started peeing outside the litter box as well. He is neutered. I am going to try to confine them to a smaller space and try to litter train them again but I have never litter trained a rabbit when they are already bonded to their partner so if any of you guys have tips for training him or how to make it easier with him having hermione that would be nice. Also if you could give me tips on how to keep him to pooping in the litter box more then that would be great too as i have noticed he poops outside the litter box more than my other bun. I understand that litter training is more for pee but keeping the poops in the box would be nice as well.

When he pees outside the litter box, take a tissue, wipe it and show it to your bunny, then put it in the litter box. Pick up as many poops as you can see when your are playing with your bunny so they will see it

When he pees outside the litter box, take a tissue, wipe it and show it to your bunny, then put it in the litter box. Pick up as many poops as you can see when your are playing with your bunny so they will see it

Agreed, also clean up any urine that is not in the litter box to prevent their scent from encouraging repeat accidents. Also, how do you go about feeding your buns? If a bun is eating, they're going to poop. Try to restrict all feeding to near/in the litter box (at least for a while, if you haven't already). I am not knowledgeable on bonded pairs, but those are my initial tips on litter training in general if it helps at all!

Latest posts

Back