Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo1

Reaction score
My one year old spayed mini lop Petunia is pretty good about using the litter box (mostly successful with peeing) when she’s roaming outside the cage. However, she apparently did not get the memo to use the litter box in her cage. We are constantly transferring her poops and rubbing her urine stained bedding into the cage litter box. We have her hay supply right next to the box and when she sits in it we give her the oxbow treats she loves. She’s clearly not adversed to her litter box. She sat on it for 10 minutes but when she got off she promptly pooped in her bedding! What do we do?! Why isn’t she getting the concept? What are we doing wrong?!

My one year old spayed mini lop Petunia is pretty good about using the litter box (mostly successful with peeing) when she’s roaming outside the cage. However, she apparently did not get the memo to use the litter box in her cage. We are constantly transferring her poops and rubbing her urine stained bedding into the cage litter box. We have her hay supply right next to the box and when she sits in it we give her the oxbow treats she loves. She’s clearly not adversed to her litter box. She sat on it for 10 minutes but when she got off she promptly pooped in her bedding! What do we do?! Why isn’t she getting the concept? What are we doing wrong?!
Okay, so with my rabbits I look at the corner that they are using most frequently and I put the box there. Some rabbits don't pick up on the training . I hope yours does🙂

Okay, so with my rabbits I look at the corner that they are using most frequently and I put the box there. Some rabbits don't pick up on the training . I hope yours does🙂
Unfortunately the spot she kind of picked is right in front of the ramp to the shelf she goes up on so I couldn’t place the litter box there.

The cage floor should not be covered with bedding. No wonder she's confused. It is all soft and perfect for going potty!
To train, the only bedding/litter should be in the litter box. The cage floor should be solid. By having bedding everywhere on the cage floor, you've made the entire cage a litter box.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

The cage floor should not be covered with bedding. No wonder she's confused. It is all soft and perfect for going potty!
To train, the only bedding/litter should be in the litter box. The cage floor should be solid. By having bedding everywhere on the cage floor, you've made the entire cage a litter box.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Well we have rabbit cage litter in the litter box. What is she supposed to sleep on and lie down on that is soft ?

Check out the link. While she's training, she doesn't need anything soft to lay on. She can always lay in her litter box which many rabbits like to do. Don't worry. If the box is maintained as explained on the site, she won't be lying in her own mess. The hay prevents that.

Once she's trained, you can put a cat bed or fleece for her to use. But it is perfectly fine, recommended and standard practice to keep the cage floor bare during training.

Check out the link. While she's training, she doesn't need anything soft to lay on. She can always lay in her litter box which many rabbits like to do. Don't worry. If the box is maintained as explained on the site, she won't be lying in her own mess. The hay prevents that.

Once she's trained, you can put a cat bed or fleece for her to use. But it is perfectly fine, recommended and standard practice to keep the cage floor bare during training.
Ok thank you. Where is the link?

Latest posts

Back