Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cluckin'Bunny

Reaction score
Hi,

Some people have said on this forum that you need to get your rabbit Spayed/Neutered for easy litter box training. Can I have some more info on this?
Thank you!
- Cluckin'bunny

Un-spayed/neutered rabbits have a tendency to mark their territory using their poop and pee. So while it may seem like a young bunny is litter trained, they’ll likely lose their training habits once they reach a hormonal stage. My rabbit was a dream with his litter box and then once he turned 4 mos, he would go wherever he pleased.

So if they are spayed/neutered it will be easy to train them, right?

I would say they won’t have the tendency to mark the territory. Myself neutered my bucks so they would stop marking the bed and couch.

Also I had a hell of a time training Odin to go on the litter box between 5 months to 1 year old. While my 7 years doe aren’t litter trained after she got the spring feelings and I just gave up :)

I just let her do whatever she wants, she’s old but if she’s going to live indoors again I will have to retrain her again.

So spaying and neutering will defiantly make it easier to train them to go on the litter box and not have hormones playing with them.

My bunnies are the same as they was before except they aren’t as aggressive towards other bunnies and not marking everything :)

I might be adopting a rabbit from the shelter (maybe...), so I'm assuming that they are already spayed/neutered before being put up for adoption?

Depends on if you are talking about a generic (dog/cat) shelter or a specific "rabbit rescue." Shelters may or may not fix them. Often they don't know much about rabbits. Rabbit rescues always fix their rabbits.

Being already fixed, they may be litter-trained as well (though there is always a settling period when they move to a new home). Be sure to take a look here (from my website) to see what steps to take at home before bringing a rabbit home, and what to do immediately upon bringing a rabbit home. It is important to start right to prevent potty accidents at the beginning. If they start with bad habits, it is more difficult to un-train.

If you'd let us know your state, we can help find an actual rabbit rescue.

Depends on if you are talking about a generic (dog/cat) shelter or a specific "rabbit rescue." Shelters may or may not fix them. Often they don't know much about rabbits. Rabbit rescues always fix their rabbits.

Being already fixed, they may be litter-trained as well (though there is always a settling period when they move to a new home). Be sure to take a look here (from my website) to see what steps to take at home before bringing a rabbit home, and what to do immediately upon bringing a rabbit home. It is important to start right to prevent potty accidents at the beginning. If they start with bad habits, it is more difficult to un-train.

If you'd let us know your state, we can help find an actual rabbit rescue.

Thank you. I am very grateful for your advice. I will check out your link.
I might let you know. We will see. ;)

Latest posts

Back