Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bun123america

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if when buying a bunny would it be better to buy from a breeder who starts the babies on litter box because the mom is litter box trained? The other option obviously is buying from someone who doesn’t introduce litter box training at all. Since they are so young does it really affect them when you bring them home to not introduce them to the litter box from the beginning. Basically are you more likely to run into issues litter training a bunny that’s never been shown where to potty with the litter box from the breeder? Thanks in advance

I'll just throw this out there: maybe consider searching for places to adopt near you? Rabbits are pretty easily litter box trained, and many of the adoptable rabbits will already be trained! Plus, you're giving some poor soul another chance!
I have considered that as an option as well but the breed I am looking at is an English angora and I haven’t found any available in our area at all.

It can help if they come from a home where they've already been litter box trained from birth, but sometimes it just has to do with an individual rabbits personality.

I had a mom that had a litter of 5 that I kept. The mom was litter box trained, but they all grew up to have different litter habits. A couple of them were perfect with the litter box, two of them were mostly good with it, and one was a little piggy and didn't care whether he peed in the litter box or not, no matter what I tried. And they were all spayed and neutered. So it's going to be a combination of what they grew up learning and what their personality is like.

Some litter training tips for when you get your rabbit:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

It can help if they come from a home where they've already been litter box trained from birth, but sometimes it just has to do with an individual rabbits personality.

I had a mom that had a litter of 5 that I kept. The mom was litter box trained, but they all grew up to have different litter habits. A couple of them were perfect with the litter box, two of them were mostly good with it, and one was a little piggy and didn't care whether he peed in the litter box or not, no matter what I tried. And they were all spayed and neutered. So it's going to be a combination of what they grew up learning and what their personality is like.

Some litter training tips for when you get your rabbit:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Thank you very much for that information. That’s very helpful!

My BB was born in the rescue centre and I adopted her when she was 1 (yes, for a whole year nobody had shown any interest in her because she was skittish and an agouti, her mum and all her siblings had found a home months earlier). She had never used a litter tray. I took a bag of her wet litter and some droppings home when we picked her up and dumped that in her litter trays. She used the trays right away. If you get a baby bunny you are very likely to have a much tougher time with litter training than if you adopt a neutered bunny. You might want to reconsider getting an angora. They are VERY hard work. Bunnies are not supposed to look like that. Unethical to breed them in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back