Litter box training and first time eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
My bunny's playpen just arrived today so I quickly prepared the box, litter, and hay. But unfortunately she seems to not like the hay (stargrass hay) I bought her but it's the only hay I can afford right now and it seems to not like the new playpen either even though her old cage is soo small she keeps biting on it, maybe I gave her too much free roam time, so I plan to just keep her I. The pen alday tomorrow maybe she will stop doing that. I tried DIYing a hay rack and it did not work I'M JUST WASTING MONEY AND MATERIALS I guess GOD is not in my side. but I tried feeding her hay from time to time and idk how to explain this properly but she eats the hay when she have the mood to eat it ... I think.

How many pellets are you giving her? Some rabbits won't eat hay when they are getting too many pellets. What cut hay is it? And, she probably doesn't like the playpen because it is new. Give her time to adjust to it.
I did, so I planned to give her small amounts of pellets and just put her in the playpen all day until she'll get used to it And I added some wheatgrass too, and another thing that is weird, she learned to just poop and pee in the mat that I give her in the pen so I just made the box like a hay rack thing soo yeah.

How many pellets are you giving her? Some rabbits won't eat hay when they are getting too many pellets. What cut hay is it? And, she probably doesn't like the playpen because it is new. Give her time to adjust to it.
Also thank you, your reply made me feel much better and positive, thank you very much. 🥰

It usually takes a bit for a rabbit to get used to a new "home." Give her time.

Also, be sure she has a litter box set up with absorbent wood pellets that are topped with hay. Rabbits tend to like the hay best when it is first put in the cage. This is why it is advised to refresh the hay (add more) a couple times per day. They usually eat it when it's first place there.

Until she's litter trained, remove the mat. The only place that is soft in her pen should be inside the litterbox. They tend to go where it is soft.

Bear in mind that at 4 months of age, her hormones are likely kicking in. Any hormonal rabbit may stop having good potty habits -- it is those hormones that can cause behavioral changes. Spaying will help.

It usually takes a bit for a rabbit to get used to a new "home." Give her time.

Also, be sure she has a litter box set up with absorbent wood pellets that are topped with hay. Rabbits tend to like the hay best when it is first put in the cage. This is why it is advised to refresh the hay (add more) a couple times per day. They usually eat it when it's first place there.

Until she's litter trained, remove the mat. The only place that is soft in her pen should be inside the litterbox. They tend to go where it is soft.

Bear in mind that at 4 months of age, her hormones are likely kicking in. Any hormonal rabbit may stop having good potty habits -- it is those hormones that can cause behavioral changes. Spaying will help.
I did but my rabbit really pees and poop there at the mat that I gave her in the cage. But she does do a little oopsy sometimes

Nope... She just pees and poops on it as if it was a litterbox.
Well that's a habit you'll need to break or you'll be cleaning it up every day (and smelling it) for the next 10 years.:eek:

As I said before, until she's litter trained, remove the mat. The only place that is soft in her pen should be inside the litterbox. They tend to go where it is soft. If you want her to go in a litterbox then the litterbox needs to be be more appealing than anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back